Author Topic: A few garden stakes straightened  (Read 7375 times)

Offline DC

Re: A few garden stakes straightened
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »
How many TPI on your blade? The splinters that I get are about 3/4" long. Turning the shaft over just makes a splinter on both sides. I'm using garden stake bamboo.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 03:07:39 pm »
I use a bandsaw blade much like the technique described by Pat, and I still get tearout (not near 3/4"), when I'm using a 14 tpi blade

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 03:28:47 pm »
I suspect it's my blade. I have a hacksaw blade for my bandsaw. I should try it. It's a pain in the fingertips to put the 3TPI back on though :D

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:05 pm »
It's a 7 tpi blade. Sometimes I get little tear outs, but nothing major. I wonder if it could be the size of the opening around the blade. It could be a little wide, allowing for for unsupported material. You could even try pre wrapping the mock before cutting.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 05:36:12 pm »
I'm not using a 3tpi blade but I am going pretty slow as I cut.
 You can also use a ceramic hacksaw blade to cut nocks. It is a round blade with abrasive material added. You can get them from any hardware store for a few bucks. It will fit into a hacksaw frame.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 06:38:06 pm »
When my bandsaw kept splintering my nocks I started using my Dremel with a cutoff disc. I have to make a few cuts but it doesn't splinter and it gives me a couple of tries to get the nock in the middle of the shaft :-[ I'll probably stick with that as it's less trouble than changing blades on the bandsaw.