Author Topic: Help with tiller please  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Onestupidsob

Help with tiller please
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:04:55 pm »
Hi All,

Started scratching away on this stick after the last one exploded. I was hoping for some more tiller  eyes on the tiller.  This one is the other half of the last one. They were from a big leaf maple or a Douglas maple (if they aren't the same thing, I'm still learning). This "stave' was one I cut about 3 or 4 years ago. After i roughed it out its lived in my 120° summer garage since then. Probably much drier than it should be but I thought the worst I can do is break it and get some practice. I've been interested in bowyery for a long time but have only recently been taking it more seriously. The design, if you can call it that, is 66" n to n, symmetrical, 1 1/2" at its widest, 1/2" tips, 1 1/2" fades (ha! Fades.). Honestly, I don't have much hope for this guy after seeing his counterpart self destruct but that's all right this is good practice and I'm having fun. Oh, and I heat bent that handle more in line than what you see.

Its pulling about 40 lbs at 25". I'm aiming for about 40 at 29" or 30" for a bit of overbuild. I realized that may not be possible but that's what I want. At this point I'm thinking I should weaken the whole r.ight limb to match the left. Maybe taking a bit more off the inside of the outer third of third of the right limb. I'm kinda liking how the left limb is bending right now.

Thanks for any input you guys might have. This site is amazing.

Stupid

Offline DC

Re: Help with tiller please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 03:19:52 pm »
If it's Doug maple it should be relatively easy although 29 or 30 might push your skills. I have never seen a successful Big Leaf bow. I would try and find a more humid location and let the bow moisten up a bit. A week or so at 50%RH would help. Do you have a hygrometer(humidity gauge)? If not, get one.  Anything you can read about Vine Maple seems to apply to Doug Maple. Tiller looks pretty good. That flat spot(slight reflex) on the right limb is going to mess with your head. Just remember it's there.

Your measurements are very close to the 3 or 4 Doug Maple bows I've made. Oh. learn how to distinguish between the two maples. :D

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »
I'd say that right limb needs a little attention. So far so good though.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Onestupidsob

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:21:47 pm »
Thanks DC. I'll look into the hygrometer.  I brought the stave in the house last week. Hopefully that will help.  If I were to bet I'd say this is probably big leaf maple. My memory ain't that good but that would be my luck. Reading up on those now. Like I say it was a good 3 years ago. I hear what your saying about that reflexed section. Trying not to force it and make a hinge but it's twmpting. I'll throw up a picture of it at full draw or broke in the next week or two.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:23:52 pm »
I'd say that right limb needs a little attention. So far so good though.

Tattoo Dave

+1
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:19:45 pm »
Yeah, the right limb obviously needs more work.  Just go for symmetrical bend and no abrupt kinks.

Can I ask, though, as narrow as it is and only 66'' long for a 30" draw, why you didn't let it just bend through the handle?