Author Topic: New design for me.  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Selfbowman

New design for me.
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:33:08 pm »
Guys I am building a bow from a very good Osage stave. I started at fades 1/1/2" width and went from there to 1/8 " at tips. The bow is 67" in length with a 10" ridged handle. I chose to tiller the belly in a pyramid. I did this forming a straight line down the center of the limbs , then penciling the sides of the limbs about a 1/4" from the back . Then took out wood between the lines.  This bow is at probably 70-80 pounds right now. I will try to load a pic. My ? Has  anyone built a similar bow and what the outcome was far as set, tiller suggestions welcome, I will round the edges at last 2-3# trying for a 50# bow. 
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

Re: New design for me.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:10:04 pm »
Well as usual iPhone  and iPad don't want to connect. Try sending on iPhone .

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:50:39 pm »
Try 2

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:52:46 pm »
Try 3

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:54:52 pm »
It's a wonder I ever built a bow . :BB

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:56:21 pm »
Ok

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 04:57:52 pm »
Looks like more or less the same thing but expecting different results. ;)

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 05:12:13 pm »
Well a little different. The belly is not flat or d shaped. It is one continuous decrease in widths instead of parallel to mid limb but yes very similar. I am trying to decrease mass as even as possible while playing  with the tension and compression without risk of to much set. That's what we all do I think. Any how I will finish it when the moisture  goes from 10 to 7 percent.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:15:47 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 05:37:43 pm »
my only thought is the compression forces concentrated on a peak could cause fretts.if I understand correcly?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:41 pm »
Ok that's not good! Arvin

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:27:41 pm »
I've never considered a pyramid design on an osage bow because it's so important to follow the grain. If I want it to taper more in width, I start with a generous thickness and gradually reduce width as I follow the grain from the handle out to the tips. I'd be afraid to draw straight lines and cut along them. I try to let the grain do most of the work with osage.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:19:03 pm »
Upstate I get that grain straight before it's laid out. This was a good stave and I rough out the bow 1-3/4-2" off of a split. Then rough out the belly and fades. Now I straighten the roughed out stave-bow. Then I lay my bow out . As of late . I study the grain after my back is almost finished if I need to alter the rough out some I still can . Meaning bring tips off center of rough out to follow grain. Then back to heat bench to put reflex or what ever else you want to do to the bow. Then I Finish from back to belly. I also know you can't get this with ever Osage stave. Knots, bends ,kinks and such can make for a real challenge of the whole process. I have been using the best wood I have as late. I've done the other you spoke of . On a mission. :BB
Arvin
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:23:41 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:57:29 pm »
It seems to me that one of the cross section's in laubin's book or one of the bibles shows that peaked belly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:01:33 pm »
Yes Bubby me to. I was just curious to find out the out come. I am pretty sure I won't ever come up with something that has not been tried in the last 5000 years. Arvin
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:09:01 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 10:10:03 pm »
Arvin i haven't done a whole limb like that but i have been doingwith a peaked belly in the lever sections that work just a bit, no problem so far
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹