Author Topic: New bower seeking advice  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Red Arrow

New bower seeking advice
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:36:04 pm »
I don't have much experience making bows but I have been woodworking for a long time. I have several oak staves from a tree that fell in my yard a few months ago, and several more from another hardwood tree which fell about the same time. They should be workable by this spring. I also have Apple trees and walnut in my back yard plus several acres of oak, pine, ERC, poplar, and others I don't recognize which I can get staves from. I've also been asked to cut down a persimmon tree in a friend's yard so I'll be able to get staves from it if I decide to cut it down (no pay other than the wood). Of course, I realize some of those woods would need to be backed to make a good bow. Can you recommend which woods I named would make good bows?
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline osage outlaw

Re: New bower seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:46:06 pm »
I would avoid the pine and poplar.  ERC will make a bow but its tricky.  It might not be a good idea for your first attempt.  Oak and Persimmon are both good bow woods.  The apple should be to.  Most fruit trees are.  Whatever you cut get them split into staves and store them in a dry location to avoid fungus and rot.  Depending on your area you might want to wait another month so the bark will slip off easily. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:17:00 pm »
All good info from Osage Outlaw. Investigate your property to see if there's any hickory cause it grows very straight, is easy to work and will take a lot of stress without breaking. Whatever wood you end up using for your first, try to use something straight and free of knots. Go with a simple design like a pyramid or nice long D bow. Best of luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:27 pm »
I'm sure there's hickory in the area but I don't know how to recognize it yet.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:59:49 pm »
There are a number of species. Not sure what you've got near you, but here in NY most of it is pignut or shagbark. Both are easy to identify by the bark once you get to know them. Not many other trees that consistently grow that straight around here except ash. Anyway, it's a great wood to start with. Good luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:30 pm »
Here is a PDF about Hickory, might help you find some. There are pictures of the bark when you scroll down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slhxol1wqea800h/Hickory%20ID.pdf?dl=0

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:26:52 pm »
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:54 am »
Welcome!
I got a pocket reference book from the local library that was really helpful in learning local tree ID by bark and leaf. Sounds like you have an assortment so get a little of each as time permits and get them seasoning for the future. Yer gonna want them. These are like pringles chips-you can't have just 1. I would swap you something seasoned for fresh hickory sapling.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Welcome!
I got a pocket reference book from the local library that was really helpful in learning local tree ID by bark and leaf. Sounds like you have an assortment so get a little of each as time permits and get them seasoning for the future. Yer gonna want them. These are like pringles chips-you can't have just 1. I would swap you something seasoned for fresh hickory sapling.

I believe that's Lay's potato chips DuBois. Come on man.  ;D lol

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 08:07:52 am »
I'm going by an online reference for hickory (site posted above) but still haven't found any in my woods yet. If I do we can definitely make a trade.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 02:47:05 pm »
Where do you live red arrow?
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:59:48 pm »
was about to ask the same... Ga here....

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 03:03:10 pm »
I made a really nice ERC bow...sinew backed it....ultra light in hand shoots really fast and hard... 48 @ 27... 60" ... flip tips... love it..got a few more clean staves of ERC...just got to replenish my sinew supply....gut

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 03:30:13 pm »
North central KY
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron