Author Topic: Eastern woodlands D bows  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Morgan

Eastern woodlands D bows
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:44:50 am »
I have a narrow and shallow stave of hackberry that split off of a larger stave.
A bow from this piece of wood is going to have to bend through the handle I'm pretty sure.
 I believe I want to make an eastern woodland style bow from it.
There are various dimensions in TBB vol2 for these bows, but I cannot seem to find when the side taper to nocks begins.
I will also want to build up the handle with leather or cork, or maybe rawhide. Anyone used rawhide for that?
My nephew has a Cherokee bow that I find uncomfortable to shoot because of the wide and shallow "handle" section.
This will be my first attempt at a bend through bow, so I'll probably need lots of help with tiller.
Stave has been 3 weeks air drying, going to throw in the car tomorrow and maybe build a hot box if I don't get too caught up in other chores.
Any advice on when to start width taper, or built up handles is greatly appreciated.

Offline willie

Re: Eastern woodlands D bows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:53:47 am »
Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows & Quivers: Volume 1: Northeast, Southeast, and Midwest

has quite a few illustrations. Although the illustrations are drawings, they are said to have been made with an eye towards accuracy.  Taper on those that I have looked at, seem to vary...... straight from handle to tip, to tapers that start half way down the limb, to hardly no taper at all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:16 am »
I start at about 1 1/4" at the handle and go straight to 3/4" at the nocks. You can adjust the width with the dimensions you have to work with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
You have to let go of any thought that bows were standard according to tribe or area or that they were perfectly designed.

Use any taper that makes you happy.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:00:58 pm »
the wide shallow handle can be very comforatble to shoot, in fact it is my favorite,, you have to rotate your left  hand a bit to the right and hold with a loose grip,, where the bow is resting on your thumb muscle ,,, your fingers wil rest on the back of the bow,, and not be wrapped around the grip,,  :BB

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:53 pm »
the wide shallow handle can be very comforatble to shoot, in fact it is my favorite,, you have to rotate your left  hand a bit to the right and hold with a loose grip,, where the bow is resting on your thumb muscle ,,, your fingers wil rest on the back of the bow,, and not be wrapped around the grip,,  :BB
Thanks, I'll try that

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:04 pm »
Use any taper that makes you happy.

no doubt there was quite a variety, and you are free to choose. I find it a bit easier to taper the thickness first, and then the sides last on bendy handled bows.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:52 pm »

This is the little stave.has some propeller twist and quite a bit of reflex. 66" long 2" wide across back and right at 1 1/4" from back to point of wedge on belly. Hope I can get something out of it.going to whittle it down to closer dimensions now