Author Topic: Gloo!  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

Gloo!
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »
I just attempted to put a bamboo backing on a maple belly lam. Bothe wer steamed into sharp recurves at the ends. I have a sneaking suspicion that the tb3 may have set on me before the stinker was fully wrapped. Is there a better way?
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gloo!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »
At least with TB glue you can break down the glue with heat to separate the back and belly, clean the glue surfaces and try again. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:29 pm »
I use 24 hour epoxy. Gives me hours to clamp it up.

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:36:35 pm »
Pat, your suggestion makes me wonder if hide gloo is better for mistakes? I don't know much about gloo. DC, I thought of that but epoxy is expensive. Maybe it will go on my tax refund wish list.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:34:11 pm »
Maybe you are taking on a task that is a little difficult with a recurve. Backing a straight bow or two will give you valuable knowledge to complete a more difficult task.
 I don't think using hide glue will simplify the matter. TB glue will work fine but you need everything right there and you need to be ready to spread the glue, join the components and clamp within a few minutes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:08:03 pm »
This is my fourth attempt at a bamboo bow. The first was a youth flatbow that pulls roughly 25lbs at 22". The second was a 53" very gentle deflex recurve that draws 20lbs at 28" with Purple Heart belly for mrs ballested_bowyer. These two I wrapped with fishing line but it worked only marginally well. The third bow was a 66" American long bow draws 66# at 28 inches. On that one I clamped it directly to a board and used wedges wherever there was a wrinkle in the wood. That worked very well because it was a strait board and a strait bow. The current project involves a jig to hold a slightly more extreme curve. I didn't think wrapping with fishing line would be fast enough so I used castrator bands looped around a nail. They were enough clamping force to get the wrinkles down except it just took to long to put them on the jig. Anybody have a better idea? Sorry for not including pictures but for some reason I get an error message. I think it's my internet service.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:21:45 pm »
Go to the bike shop and get some blown tubes, they give me mine for free, clamp the handle area down to hold it in place and wrap with the tubes, tight as you can. The reason i went to smooth on epoxy was that the tb glues set too fast here in nor cal
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 02:59:19 am »
Cascamite aka Resintite etc is cheap, good with plenty of working time.
You definitely need plenty of rubber strapping, fishing line isn't going to do the job.
Other important thing is get the 'boo good and thin.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
Found some cascamite under the name "plastic resin glue." There's no bike repair shop in my town so it was either buy inner tubes or latex tube by the foot. I went with the latex tube. We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:43:56 pm by Ballasted_Bowyer »