Author Topic: bugs under the bark  (Read 1052 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

bugs under the bark
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:36:20 pm »
I just cut a piece of white birch. I know it's not the best bow wood, but for some reason I've always wanted to give it a try. Anyway, when I peeled away the bark I saw termites had been at work. The thing is, they didn't really go into the wood much at all. Is this firewood, or do you think I could back it and make a bow?

P.S. The tree was very much alive and the wood appears to be fine. The damage is mostly through the cambium.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: bugs under the bark
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:52:02 pm »
It just occurred to me that I could try chasing the outermost ring. Never chased a ring on birch, but I think it makes the most sense.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »
It just occurred to me that I could try chasing the outermost ring. Never chased a ring on birch, but I think it makes the most sense.
+1 to that

According to this article, http://www.coldsiberia.org/monbow.htm, birch was used quite a lot for the mongol bows. Not all birch is the same though. Paper Birch, Alaska Paper Birch, as well as Sweet Birch would not make good bows. Some potential Birchs could be, Yellow Birch and Silver Birch. The best would probably be Downy Birch. I think Downy birch is the birch that the mongols would have most access too so it would make sense if they used this one.   
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »
When did you cut that tree? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:39:38 pm »
When did you cut that tree?

This afternoon.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 08:42:11 pm »

gfugal, yeah, this is paper birch. I know it's not a great bow wood, but I was going to go wide and fairly long. Only looking to get 40# out of it.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 08:55:51 pm »
That much bug damage makes me think that tree had issues.  Use with caution.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:07:49 am »
That much bug damage makes me think that tree had issues.  Use with caution.

I hear that. Don't have a great feeling about it, even after chasing 2 rings. It looks okay but something tells me it'll probably end up like...  (--)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 12:54:32 am »
Sometimes we undertake projects simply for the sake of seeing if we can. You have already made some excellent shooters so why not expirament a bit. You tend to learn a lot from these bows. I say go for it, just accomadate accordingly for its limitations.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.