Author Topic: Draw length help  (Read 1570 times)

Offline kirk

Draw length help
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:02:03 pm »
Hi guys. I have a question I am sure you guys have the knowledge to answer for me. I am planning to build a hickory backed red elm board bow that is 58" long with a 5" handle I would like to hit a draw length of 27" will that be to long of a draw on a bow of this length after the handle area and 1 1/2 fades are in place? I have had very good results with this wood combination on several other board bows but they were considerably longer. Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline High-Desert

Re: Draw length help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:23:30 pm »
I think most would say that is a bit bit short for that draw length, but I think it is very doable if you have a good piece of wood and are meticulous about your tillering. My first (successful) bow was a 56" recurved hickory board bow that draws 54 lbs @ 26" and after 8 years, the tips still have 2" reflex and shoots great. Ive always had a fascination with shorter bow, that's what I wanted, so that what I was going to make, and I still don't make bows over 60" unless they are for someone else. I broke a lot of boards tho when I started. I say go at it, you'll learn a lot from pushing the limits.

Eric

Eric

Offline kirk

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »
Thanks for the advice Eric. I believe I am going to give it a shot and see what happens.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »
Generally a safe number to run with for good performance and minimum set, is for the limb to be the draw length from the end of fade to the nock. So to me for a 27" drae with essentially 8" counted as stiff, I would want about 62" plus an inch in each end for what's past the nock. You can definitely go shorter. But that's a safe njmber to play with if your tillering eye isn't tuned yet.

Kyle

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:08:18 pm »
Don't glue on a handle, make the handle bend slightly and you can get 27" I'd say.
You can build the handle back up with cork or leather

Offline kirk

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:13:17 pm »
Thanks for the input Kyle I assumed it was a risky bow length to draw length ratio but I'm going to give it a try I have many successful bows under my belt and my tillering is pretty spot on I just have never tried to push a bow that short that far but I knew some of the guys on here with their thousands of years of experience between them all have tried it all and could tell me if it was worth trying or not.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 09:24:41 pm »
It is short. You would have  a better chance if you let the handle bend.   Jawge
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:21:36 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 11:29:55 pm »
Don't glue on a handle, make the handle bend slightly and you can get 27" I'd say.
You can build the handle back up with cork or leather

what he said . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 03:29:15 am »
I built mrs ballasted bowyer a 56" amo bow that draws 28". I recurved the tips a gentle static 30degrees or about three and deflexed the handle so it is a net tow inches string follow after taking set.  It draws smoothly. The limbs are 1.75" at the fades. Bamboo backed Purple Heart. It bends mostly near the handle so it is not a fast shooter, but it worked. You could do better with a similar profile by having a more even tiller and zero string follow.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"