Author Topic: Hunting with stone points legal?  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

Hunting with stone points legal?
« on: April 06, 2017, 07:40:17 am »
I can't seem to find anything about oregon's position. Their definition of a barbless point only mentions shape.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Hunting with stone points legal?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:00:51 am »
I'm in WA, so I don't know how OR is written up but I have seen a video on you tube from Shawn Woods, he killed a deer with stone in the video in OR. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:02:52 pm »
Did a quick search and all I saw was 7/8 wide and no barb. My understanding of barb is anything from 90degree backwards. 90 degree from the shaft or a lottle forward is okay. Look at modern steel points. I will add that I do not like a 90 degree from the shaft because it can also make an arrow difficult to back out. A slightly forward angle will allow it. Not really an issue unless you make a bad hit and the animal can not pull the arrow out. The old bear broadhead is a good profile design.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 02:26:48 am »
Nclonghunter, I saw that too. The thing is sometimes regulation gets understood by enforcement in unexpected ways. 'Sharp blades' could somehow imply iron in a lawyers mind. I once went to go put a fabric over a wood frame and the city came by and told me the word 'rigid' in the city code which I had read means a metal frame. So I put up a rickety metal frame from the general store and they were happy.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:35:51 am »
I called the head law enforcement guy with the NC DNR and asked him to explain what a barbed broadhead was. He thought for a minute then said that it couldn't look like a fish hook. I told him that none of my arrowheads looked like fish hooks. He thought for another minute and said...you better ask the officer that was writing the ticket.
 Simple answer is, most of the "experts" don't know. I guess it is up to the guy writing the ticket.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:21:06 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:32:24 am »
That's classic, Pat!

So, "forgiveness rather than permission" comes to mind...  ::) :laugh:

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:44:16 am »
Here in WA, they had to pull the no backward facing barb out of the regs. When they started to allow mechanical broad heads two yrs ago.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:22:59 am »
Yeah, Scott. When it comes to our type of hunting gear the officials know very little about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:53:58 pm »
It sounds the same as Florida. Here you can shoot wood or plastic if it is 7/8" wide. ::) ??? And, I've never had a Game Officer measure a point and never do anything more then think it was cool when checking in an animal harvested with stone.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?