Author Topic: hackberry design  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Lost Arra

hackberry design
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:09:37 pm »
I got a nice hackberry log this weekend. After splitting, I removed the bark and sealed the back and ends.

I've never used this wood and wanted to know if the design/layout would be similar to hickory.
Do I need to chase a ring like osage?

Thanks

Offline DanaM

Re: hackberry design
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:15:53 pm »
No need to chase a ring, just peel the bark off. As the design I 'm not sure but I believe its a little less tough than hickory
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 02:53:01 pm »
Its a bit lighter than hickory but holds up well as bow wood.  I made a very nice 64" 50lb@27" bow of hackberry, limbs were around 1.75" wide to midlimb as I recall.  It was a very snappy shooter.  I shot it awhile then gave it to a guy, he reported that it broke on him a year later but I don't know the details.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 04:21:38 pm »
I treat it just like my hickory bows except I build it a little wider at the fades, 2"+or-. Since it's in the elm family you could build it like you would an elm bow and be fine. Good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:44:52 am »
I have build several from Hackberry and what Tracy said will work fine.Just go very slow on
the tiller if you have a problem take care of it early,it will go away on you quick if you make a bad tiller mistake.Beautiful wood and light to carry in the woods. :) You don't need to chase a ring ,but chasing one is usually no problem,at least not with the ones I have done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:01:35 am »
If comparing hickory and hackberry bows of the same dimensions(other then limb thickness), draw, and weight...the hackberry will have thicker limbs. If you're using a band saw to rough the bow in, I would lay the limb thickness out thicker then normal as a precaution prior to starting floor tillering.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...