Author Topic: light weight Osage bow  (Read 1961 times)

Offline HighEagle

light weight Osage bow
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:51:44 am »

Nice simple light weight Osage bow. Making for a little Gal in are home town archery club she shot my new Yew bow (my other recent post) last week and a 48# Osage bow of mine all night.  Do have to say I think shes hooked on wanting a selfbow. I hope to fix this one up and give it to her in the next week or two.

It has a long draw a 28" at 33-35lbs would like to bump it up to 40 or close to it, what do you think if I back with some Birch bark like Badly Bents new bow will it give me a few more pounds?   How do the bends look so far?  Thanks Chuck 

[/URL][/img]
Armstrong, BC

Offline HighEagle

Re: light weight Osage bow
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:53:58 am »
Armstrong, BC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 03:02:41 am »
I don't know if you'd see any significant weight increase from a bark backing. Does this gal have a 28" draw? If it were mine I would probably pike it or flip the tips, maybe both. You'd get your weight increase and be able to shorten the draw some at the same time.

What were you shooting for weight wise? Closer to the 45# of yours she shot all evening?
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:21:57 pm »
Birch bark won't get you any draw weight gain Chuck, at least not the thin stuff I've used. I think Dakota Kid's suggestions would be one way to bump it up. Also a combo of those options and a good heat treating of the belly while adding some reflex could gain you
5-8#. When I do heat treat osage I find it responds well usually in the draw weight gain dept. Mostly though I will do it when I have the limbs bending how I want but having only been pulled to about 6" short of the desired full draw. For me that means heat-treating
when I have it pulling 18"-19" for my 24"-25" draw length. If it has been well exercised and worked often at or beyond the full draw
length the heat treat/added reflex gains are less. IMHO, milage may vary as they say. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:52:33 pm »
Looks like a lot of  your bend is happening on the inner third of each limb.  Especially the upper limb. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 03:19:33 pm »
Thanks for looking Guys and thoughts . Think ill skip the bark backing and go with the heat treat and flipped tips.

The girl that wants a bow was pulling both the 45# Yew and the 48# Osage to 26" with good form I was a bit surprised  But she did say she would like it under 40. So she would have no problem pulling this bow So my  thoughts were if I could Get to 40s and at her 26" draw it would even out.. Thanks again.. Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:55:12 pm »
Agree on the location of bend in the limbs.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 11:33:07 pm »
So how do I fix it?
Armstrong, BC