Author Topic: Laying rawhide on a wiggle  (Read 1437 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Laying rawhide on a wiggle
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:53:16 pm »
I'm ready to put some rawhide on the bow below. I bought one of those 24" diameter goatskin drum heads from that big auction site. I'm wondering, do I just cut straight strips and when they're wet follow the wiggle or do I trace around the wiggle onto the hide and cut around it?

Hope this question is clear. Thanks in advance!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Laying rawhide on a wiggle
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 11:22:30 pm »
I'd cut a strip but make it a little wider. Once the rawhide is wet it should follow the wiggle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 12:31:24 am »
Cool. Thanks Pat.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:38:38 am »

I'd do like Pat. Not sure how much it would matter but hide has "grain" just like wood. It seems like cutting a snaky pattern in the rawhide might take away from it's integrity a bit. Then again, maybe not.  8)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:21:32 am »
Jeff....Have you ever cut lace from a round piece of leather?Maybe that is what you mean here buying that.Goat rawhide is great stuff.If that's 2' circumference cutting it a good 1/4" wider then your limb width around the edge will work.When wet you'll be able to stretch it a bit to straighten and conform.Here's a way to look at it.Most times guys stretch it a bit to apply it onto the bow anyway and the thickness does change then too even from a straight cut strip.Rawhide is not like cloth made into a set pattern.That's what's cool about it.It's always on the bias so to speak.If it's not been shaven even thickness like most natural deer hide is applied anyway it won't be any different doing it's job.Wrapping the rawhide with gauze tape to let air in till the tite bond glue sets.It' won't change your bows shape/tiller/or alignment.It's' strength is'nt there laterally.It's where it should be on the tension side of your bow surface.Just get it wet and stretchy enough to do for you what it can.It'll be fine.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 12:21:41 pm »
great advice above ,, shoud  work great, I really like rawhide back,, (SH)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:10:34 pm »
I did as suggested above and all went extremely well. Thanks a bunch guys.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:22 pm »
Measure from the right of the wiggle to the left beyond the wiggle in line with above and below.
At least make it that wide at that spot. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!