Author Topic: Dealing with dust  (Read 6383 times)

Ruddy Darter

Re: Dealing with dust
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 01:49:05 am »
I see a different types of these available, they look quite effective, these trap something like 99%impurities. Nasal filter plugs, definitely better than nothing.

R.D.

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 02:07:37 am »
Being alergic to living things and non-living things, I am sure I would sneeze that one out.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline Sabb

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 07:15:11 pm »
I used to work in a paper mill cleaning sawdust and chip conveyors. A positive pressure face mask doesn't  need to seal and keeps dust out of your lungs reasonably well. You may want to consider clothing contamination for extremely dusty activities, especially with kids.

Cost versus long term health is a tricky trade-off sometimes.

To deal with thousands of cubic yards of yellow cedar I'd  still shave and seal though :).

Sebastian

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 10:39:25 am »
Thanks everyone for the input

Offline DC

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
Make a choice, beard or lungs ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 10:13:28 am »
This is the reason  I hate using my belt sander. Lately I haven't been able to make any bows due to my back, but carpenters lung is nothing to laugh at. I have 3 shop vacs and they cut the dust abit. That reminds me I need to replace the bag.

The cold season also makes the symptoms worse. Even using a draw knife sends up some particles.

At least it isn't FG dust? Antler and bone dust is also very very bad for your lungs.