Author Topic: static recurve tiller check  (Read 2445 times)

Offline gfugal

Re: static recurve tiller check
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 09:20:12 pm »
Those are some pretty impressive curve nonetheless. Unfortunately, I don't know how much good they are doing you. It looks like your limbs are too long for them since at full draw the string still hasn't lifted off yet (or just barely starting). I can't see the extra weight hurting too much, just consider them sweet looking onramental tips.
  This again?
Again? I don't see any mention of it proir. Maybe i missed it on another thread. Is there some other advantage of recurves other than string angle? Cause at full draw that string angle is pretty much the same as it would be if he cut the statics off.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 09:16:34 am »
Greg, I agree that the tips aren't being used to their potential but the string angle at the tips is not the same as if the tips were cut off. With the string not lifting off the recurves there is very little string angle at the tips. If you cut the curves off the string angle would be about 90 degs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:52 am »
A sharp static tends to have much higher brace tension, regardless of what happens later in the draw.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 11:32:54 am »
if you shot it through a chrono,,, you could compare it to how a straight tip bow would shoot,, I am sure the bow is smooth to draw and fun to shoot,,

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 12:13:37 pm »
I fully agree that the limbs are too long on this bow, 2-3" shorter overall length would of been much better for this design.  I initially had extra long riser fade outs to try to shorten the working part of limbs, but decided against it as I would rather build longer lower stressed limbs at this point in my bow making journey. Once I have a few 'curves under my belt I will try to get the most I can out of the design. For now I am working on the basics. I am just happy after 4 failed attempts that I got the recurves to bend without snapping in half!

I will shoot her for a few weeks and report back if the results are good.  Thanks for all the help, SS

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 12:53:46 pm »
if the bow is shooting nice for you,, that is key,, and an overbuilt bow is never gonna break,,( well less likely)  some of my best bows are not pushing the limit of the design, but have taken game and still shooting 20 years later,,