Author Topic: Bamboo strip from 3RArchery not really flat  (Read 2348 times)

cool_98_555

Bamboo strip from 3RArchery not really flat
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:01:57 pm »
Hi guys,

Im making another laminated bow and i have a planed/flattened bamboo strip from 3 Rivers Archery.  Problem is, when i place it on a straight board, there are several spots where it doesn't lay flush to the board when i clamp them together.  There are quite a few gaps between the flat board and the bamboo.  Ive tried sanding in some spots to make it more flush but it doesn't seem to be helping.  I have mostly hand tools here so not sure how to fix it.  It really annoys me when I order a "planed and flattened" strip and it doesn't lay perfectly flat against the other laminations.  I can't glue it up in this condition.  There would be too many bad glue lines.  Ive been thinking of ordering one from Carson at EchoArchery but I don't know...

Offline DC

Re: Bamboo strip from 3RArchery not really flat
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:08:14 pm »
How thick is the bamboo? I've only done a couple of boo backed bows but I made the boo 1/8" at the handle tapering to 1/16" at the tip. When it was that thin the rubber strapping had no problem forming it tightly to the bow. That was one of the nice surprises making those bows. The thin boo was so flexible that a good glue line was almost inevitable.

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »
It's 3/16" at the center

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 01:26:45 pm »
That seems a bit thick to me but others may chime in. When you say "clamp" are you using clamps or rubber strips? Rubber strips give a way evener pressure.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:27:21 pm »
You need to let Three Rivers know about there problem. It's a lot better and might solve it better then airing it out on the site.

Also, James Parker has some excellent bamboo that is planed and tapered.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:36:37 pm »
Im using rubber strips for clamping

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
Get some coarse  floor sander sheets and stick them to a flat surface and use that to flatten the strip properly. You would want to freshen up the glue surface anyway.

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 04:57:45 pm »
Take a long standing belt and cut it so it's one long strip. Glue the strip to a very flat board. Now sand the boo with this
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
That's what I was suggesting with the advantage of the sandpaper being peel and stick. Of course it needs a butt joint to cover the board.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 07:59:54 pm »
Double sided tape was made for just this application, I think ;) ;) I make sanding sticks/ cheap rasps with DS tape and haven't had a problem yet.

cool_98_555

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 10:29:16 pm »
I got it flattened to an acceptable level.  Turns out that i needed to sand more underneath all tge nodes.  Got it glued up and just waiting for it to dry.  Hoping for perfect glue lines!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:33:43 am »
Never buy raw materials from them. They have no idea what any of it means. Buy from James or Carson.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:16:34 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.