Author Topic: Red Osier Dogwood ... where should I plant them?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Red Osier Dogwood ... where should I plant them?
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:25:40 pm »
One of the big box stores had red osier dogwood at attractive enough price. So we brought couple home.
For the purpose of one day providing arrow shafts, should they be planted where plenty sun avail or rather shady?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Red Osier Dogwood ... where should I plant them?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:20:43 am »
Knoll, I'm not sure which is best. Around here it mostly grows in the open in drainage ditches and bottom lands. One thing that seems to make really nice shoots is to bend tall plants over and pin them to ground. They will root down and send nice long straight shoots up from every node. I have seen people use them as a border hedge and cut them down every couple years. They send shoots back out really fast once established. I wouldn't put them anyplace you don't want them cause they will spread and if you cut them down they will come right back any twigs on the ground will root with the right conditions to. I do like them for arrow shafts, wait for them to get bigger than you think you need before you harvest them. They shrink down considerably and it's better to start heavy and file down to spine and weight.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Wind D Ranch

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:36:31 am »
I'm pretty sure the literature that came with my red osier plants said full sun to partial shade.  I have some in both types of locations and all are doing well.  I see you are from Missouri, arrow wood viburnum grows well here also. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:10:07 am »
Maybe I should move those plants outta The Wife's garden and into my little plot of scrub/weeds out back.   :-[ ::)

I have couple arrowwood viburnum plants on order from Arbor Day Foundation.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:08:42 am »
Not that it matters for arrows but around here Red Osier that grows in the shade doesn't turn red. Damp soil, full sun would work best here.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 04:12:25 pm »
The straightest Red Osier that I have found is usually in shade near a creek.  Plant the Red Osier where it won't bug you if it winds up covering an acre or two. Once it gets a hold it makes a dense thicket that keeps out all other plants.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »
I took them out to "common" area beyond our fence line. Nobody, but me, takes care of that area. Will get lotsa sun and it's wet out there. Can spread where it pleases.

The Wife is pleased that plants were removed from her garden.    ::)

Thanks to all that responded!

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:09:16 am »
The best shaft red osier dogwood I have seen grows in the shade. I planted the ours on the north side of our house to avoid sunlight. They will grow taller and straighter when out if the sun. I've experienced the opposite of what DC has. The brightest red osier I've seen is pure shade while the stuff that gets direct sunlight will turn green/gray on the sunlit side. I don't know, it's strange.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 10:58:22 am »
I wonder if it's different sub-species or something? Or maybe the amount of rain. We are about polar opposites as far as rain is concerned.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »
That's very true and makes sense.  we get a lot of sun and only 11" of rain. So the ones in sunlight may actually be sun burned.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 07:24:56 pm »
Lots of folks plant them in their landscapes. It makes a nice shrub if properly handled. Just by harvesting the 2 year old shoots will keep it in check. The first 2 years the shoots are red then gray out after that. That red bark has good winter interest in the garden. Red osier likes moist soil and does best in the landscape in full to partial sun.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 07:57:57 pm »
Pat, I was hoping you'd respond to this on getting back home from TN.

FAW

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:13:18 pm »
Doing some chainsaw work around the outskirts of my lot and discovered this bothersome red twigged shrub which seems to line the outer perimeters of my lot and some of the neighbouring ones. By golly, I do believe it is that red osier dogwood growing under my nose and me with a couple primitive bows looking for something to shoot out of them. Strange how we take things for granted sometimes. Thanks for bringing up this topic, Knoll, and opening my eyes. For what it is worth, this stuff has been growing in the wettest spot of the lot (real,real, wet at the moment) and it gets a fair amount of the morning to early afternoon sun. I  won't head out there with a chainsaw any more, just a set of clippers and a smile on my face.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:00:30 pm »
You can cut down the oversize shoots and encourage new shoots. Now is a good time to do it because it is in the early growing season and the new shoots it will encourage should grow well this season and can be havested after the next growing season..
 I have silky dogwood growing along the creek on our property. It's not as good as red osier but makes a pretty good arrow. I started it by driving the cut off shoots into the moist soil along the creek.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

FAW

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:32:16 pm »
I kept some of the larger shoots to dry and then get some idea how they can be worked - fortunate to see a demonstration of the process a few years back and as in all things of a primitive nature will enjoy the learning. I will sure be monitoring them throughout this year and hopefully take advantage of them next year.