Author Topic: Unrelated Questions  (Read 1420 times)

Offline jaxenro

Unrelated Questions
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:53:21 am »
1. I am using Titebond III to glue up laminations. Does this get stronger or weaker with age?

2. I have been applying multiple coats of "Original Oil Finish" essentially a mix ofboiled linseed oil and pine distillates (turpentine) to the bow. I rub it on, it soaks in, I add another coat. Two coats a day for a week now and I am just reaching the point where it is starting to not soak in completely (the Yew especially seems like a sponge). As it starts building on the surface I will go to one coat a day. Anyway what does soaking in so much oil and turpentine do to the wood?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Unrelated Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:23:11 pm »
1.  Don't know

2. Makes it heavier, for one thing.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »
I doubt is soaking very deep, are you putting very thin coats, I think the turpentine mostly evaporates so once it is sealed it should be done soaking in.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:56:01 pm »
Yes very thin coats. Looks shiny for about two hours then it is gone

The yew especially seems to soak it up and dry out it is building to a nice shine on the rest. But the yew is getting a nice dark finish

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »
As Jim said,  makes the wood heavier. This is an old recipe for preserving antique furniture and was used commonly a couple generations ago. The oil will work to keep moisture out of the wood but won't provide any type of protection from scratches, dents or bruises. When using linseed oil on furniture I was told to "apply it once a day every day for a week, then once a week every week for a month, then once a month every month for a year, then once every year after that."
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.