Author Topic: A Forging Question  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Greybuff

Re: A Forging Question
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 08:09:10 pm »
For less than a hundred dollars if you know how to weld, cut & grind you can build a really good propane forge. I once used oak, my BBQ and the ex's hairdryer to forge with.

There is a national group called ABANA that is all about blacksmithing. Then inside of ABANA almost every state has a local chapter where you can learn how to do just about anything blacksmithing.

You can literally learn how to make a forge and other tools, even how to forge by watching YouTube.
It's a very addicting hobby and what you can do with the skil is endless. I've' been at it off and on for 40 years and worn out plenty of body parts but still love it. I've built 5 forges, 9 treadle hammers, 4 pneumatic power hammers, 2 knife grinders, so you can really with basic tools build just about any blacksmithing tool you need. And any heavy piece of iron can make an anvil, there even a guy on YT that makes a 100+ pound anvil that looks commercially made.
So, as we like to say "get it hot and hit it hard".

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 12:31:33 am »
😀👹😀😂 Let's see if I got this straight - good hardwood/charcoal fire on top of flint/stone and 2-3 inches of sand - put steel in fire and watch it get cherry red, quench in veg oil, check, hammer, repeat, quench thirst, repeat thirst  quencher, get steel red again, quench in oil, hammer, rest arm, quench thirst, repeat sequence until fire is out, check stone when cool enough, if smooth and glossy, quench thirst, then take little lady out to dinner so She doesn't get p.o.'d about you spending so much time in shop or garage."
 Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 01:48:03 pm »
the quench is the next to last step, and only done once, to harden.

look around here

Code: [Select]
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/92/Metal-Working

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:24 pm »
If you hammer after you quench you break the blade. I watch "Forged in Fire", I know stuff ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 09:46:46 pm »
So no quench after first heat, just cool, then reheat red to hammer, then quench in oil, then heat in oven, and final quench.  Guess I will try to get to the "Hammer In" just down the road and learn from the guys doing it!  Now, if I can just find a flintknapper close by!
Thank for all the info!  Got to learn something new every day😀😀😂
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 12:15:10 am »
If you can find someone to show you first hand that is always the best
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹