Author Topic: Atlatl dart spine and length  (Read 6534 times)

Offline willie

Re: Atlatl dart spine and length
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »
some good observations about dart spine being reported here. It seems to me that the methods we use to approximate spine can only be rough indicators of dart dynamics in flight, because the launching of a dart involves a series of complex forces.

In a basic sort of way, I guess one could make a dart stiffer by shortening the small end and adding to the point end, at least if the new center section was stiffer than the old.  An alternative might be  to just stiffen the center third of the dart, as is, or of course  just start with bigger shoots and work them down till they fly right.  seem like my quiver eventually contains some softer darts that get used for easy target throwing, and some heavier darts for distance and wooly mammoth hunting  (AT)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:30:23 pm by willie »

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:21 pm »
I went out and tried the spine testing method mentioned using the scale. I tested 2 shafts, spinning at 6 and 7 lbs. The scale's a pretty neat method. Push down on the shaft, and it will go up in poundage and stop even if you keep pushing. So it sounds like 6-7 isn't too bad of a spine. I'll keep messin around with them at this 6' length.

Eric
Eric

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 12:17:57 am »
I would think the "old way" would have been to start with a shaft that looked right, make sure it was pretty straight, then test and work until it flew the way you wanted it to.  There was no other way than to learn from the elders, and/or trial and error.  For good or ill, we have an Internet, and lots of folks to provide input and assistance. Thanks, elders, no matter how many years you have, pass on your knowledge so it isn't lost.  I did find a site that said most darts will spine between 5 and 10 lbs using a bathroom type scale and just pushing on the end.  I like the little atlatl guy!  I think I will go to the red oiser grove and look for some big dart shafts ;D (AT)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry