Author Topic: Chinese Chariots Revealed  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Chinese Chariots Revealed
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:21:07 pm »
Tonight on PBS, NOVA  9:00pm Eastern.  Looks pretty interesting and some archery involved.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Chinese Chariots Revealed
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:16:35 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the heads up!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:58 pm »
Was a pretty neat show. I liked seeing the building of the chariot. Can't imagine what those battles must have been like. 800 chariots, thousands of horses and men. No thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »
It was very interesting. I saw the show that the same guy built an Egyptian chariot like the one they showed on this show. Watching them bending steamed wood it pretty cool too. Just the wheel itself was a work or art.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:51 am »
I watched him bend that wheel and wondered why I have so much trouble with recurves? ;D ;D Some guys sure luck out with the jobs.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:11 am »
I'd be curious how long that piece was in the steamer.  212 degrees internal temp?  Had to cook for a long time.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:27:00 pm »
212 deg is the temp of the steam so you want it in the steamer long enough for the wood, inside and out to be 212 deg. On the show about the Egyptian chariot they steamed a big timber for 6 hours if I remember correctly.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:55 pm »
It should be recorded, don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »
I'd be curious how long that piece was in the steamer.  212 degrees internal temp?  Had to cook for a long time.

Kyle

They might have used a pressure cooker/steamer....... :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 09:13:55 am »
I caught that the other night, Pat.  Fascinating to me how they excavated those remains that were like dirt shadows.  Amazing.
I was thinking the same thing about the man who recreated the chariot.  What a job.  I really liked the the paintwork on the wheels, also.  Those red stripes on the spokes looked great.  Clever how he figured out those 90 degree cuts from the tree for the corners.

Good program!
1’—>1’