Author Topic: Color of yew sapwood  (Read 2020 times)

Offline JonW

Color of yew sapwood
« on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:20 pm »
Question for the yew bowyers. I just tillered my first yew bow. The sapwood is just not that creamy color that makes the contrast of heart and sapwood pop. I sand it and it is just kinda dull beige. I even tried sealing it immediately after sanding but it is just not white. Thoughts?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Color of yew sapwood
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:35:34 pm »
Jon I have noticed low elevation yew can vary in that way. Not to say high elevation PNW doesn't, but I haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:58:36 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »
Chris the stave didn't have bark on it when I got it. Maybe the affect of UV light over the years?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
That very well could be the reason. I don't think you have anything to worry about Jon. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:32 pm »
 I've seen different colored sapwood too. It can vary quite a bit. Sometimes the heartwood is kind of pale and that takes away the contrast. Sometimes the line between the two is kind of blurred. Once in a while you get almost white sapwood with dark, reddish heartwood and a sharp dividing line. Then you're golden :D :D :D

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:00:26 pm »
Not worried about it as it is tillered and doing fine. Just looking for that beatiful contrast.

DC it really doesn't have that definition you speak of.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 01:38:02 pm »
It can vary a lot, some wood goes sap,heart,sap, heart and the transition and difference in colour can be very poor.
Other staves it's the classic caramel and cream
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 01:53:41 pm »
A little oil will help make it pop if you haven't done that already. :D