Author Topic: Show me your quiver  (Read 10300 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Show me your quiver
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 03:16:42 am »
Here is one I quickly made, to change from a back quiver to a side quiver.

Cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 04:57:20 am »
my quiver is a back quiver. I mostly just shoot in my back yard.  By making it custom to my back, I don't have some of the problems of not reaching the arrows, or having them rattle around too much.  The leather work is pretty simple, really.  I just cut in the pattern and used a single stamping tool to highlight.  stain and seal

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 06:58:19 am »
Left to Right:
Gray Fox Quiver with Wapum Beads on Strap
Large Basket Quiver
Bark Quiver with cordage strap
Red Fox Quiver
Bamboo Belt Quiver
Basket Quiver with Brain Tan strap
Leather Quiver trimmed with Bear hide

That basket quiver on the right looks very much like the quiver I got from Dino's wifey. Its by far my favorite for bunny hunting and roving.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:10 am »
She made mine also.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:12:57 am »
I have one also!
Dino's wife makes a great quiver!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline loon

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
Don't get much simpler than mine. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I works for me. Really should make a nicer strap for it and I actually liked it better fur in. It is just a tanned mink with a toggle to hold my finger tab. Really interested to see everyone else's though
Bjrogg
I think that style with the forward facing arrows (vs the field quiver) is actually better for speed shooting, thus comfort, so I like it more now. I really like that quiver. Looks nice.
Do you find that it moves around a lot or no?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:58:23 am by loon »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 10:32:25 am »
Loon I actually had one last year that was really just fur on rawhide mink. It was put up just like I would sell it to a fur buyer. I really liked that one better. The rawhide was stiffer and the fur in really did a nice job of keeping the arrows quite. I could tip it upside down and arrows wouldn't fall out. I really do need to work on a strap. It does move around when I walk some from your leg bumping it. Nothing to serious unless you're running. It is very nice for selecting arrows quickly and you can see which ones you have to pick from. I really haven't gone through the thick brush yet to see how it maneuvers, I would imagine it could snag on branches. Really when I hunted last year mostly I just held it in my bow hand between back of bow and my fingers. When I got to my spot I either hung or set it somewhere I could easily get another arrow. It is very light and compact and I love having my finger tab on its toggle. I actually had a stone blade knife on the one I hunted with last year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
The top picture is the one I hunted with last year the second is the one I made for Christmas trade.
Bjrogg

Offline ksnow

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 11:04:11 am »
Here are two fur ones I use. 
First is a badger fur back quiver.  This is the one I had at Marshall.  It holds a lot of arrows. I need to shorten the strap just a bit more to make reaching the arrows easier.

Second is a reindeer fur quiver, with the fur in.  It holds the arrows very securely, no rattling, and is cooler (not as hot) than with the fur out.  There is a stiffening rod sewn into the side.

Kyle

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 11:17:35 am »
I'm hoping to make a quiver out of the mink fur I got in trade with BJ at Marshall.
Can't decide hair in or out......like it both ways
Thanks again BJ    :OK
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 11:43:46 am »
Maybe you got another 500 lb tree stand you want to trade next year Bill so you can do one both ways.lol. Most people like the looks of fur out better and it still functions well. I put a little stuffing from a old chair it the bottom. I like the look both way, but prefer the leather out.
Kyle I like the looks of that Riendeer fur in. Nice :OK
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:47:09 am by bjrogg »

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 11:48:03 am »
I'm hoping to make a quiver out of the mink fur I got in trade with BJ at Marshall.
Can't decide hair in or out......like it both ways
Thanks again BJ    :OK
DBar

Bill did you ever make that bobcat or yote quiver you were talking about? I cant remember which it was
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 11:55:10 am »

Hey bubby
Nope the bobcat skin didn't turn out like I was expecting.  I found out I'm not a Tanner. I think I will still be able to use it though.  Just needs some work
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 12:23:51 pm »
Sweet Quivers!
One question though.  Are all of you guys fur pelt type quivers tanned? Or does it matter?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ksnow

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 01:11:59 pm »
I would definitely recommend tanned, to keep the bugs out of them.  Any grease left in a raw, but dried skin will attract all sorts of little wee-beasties.  Soft hides can be glued with contact cement to a heavier foundation to give the quiver more body. Deer, reindeer, etc have more structure to the hide than say fox, coon or mink.

Kyle