Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Where to start?
« on: June 21, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
Would someone be so kind to point me in the right direction of some books/websites/articles for starting at the very beginning of knapping arrow points?

Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:14:43 pm »
Jeff, I really don't know about books. I watched a lot of YouTube I mean A Lot of YouTube. I think a good place to start is probably watching arrow heads from glass bottle bottoms. Their probably the easiest and cheapest to start with. I started with knapping, then arrows, then bows. I got pretty fair at all three now but I think knapping is the hardest to learn. Especially if you have to buy expensive stone. Like making bows and arrows it has its own vocabulary and until you do it you really don't know exactly what they're talking about. At first it's hard to know where to hit your stone and how to set up Platforms. When you figure that out it's a huge step. Like bows your going to break some. Except your going to break a lot more of them. Jack Crafty (Patrick), Buhunter really helped me. Especially Buhunter. Some guys just knap and don't really say what their thinking. I like how Buhunter explains what he's trying to do and he has a pretty good since of humor to. Mike Cook has a few good videos to. Billy Burger and others as well. It's been awhile since I watched any now could be more. Good Luck try not to get frustrated. It's really relaxing if you don't let it get frustrating. If you want to pm me questions feel free
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:36:24 am »
Fantastic BJ. That's precisely the kind of info I was looking for. I'll definitely check out those Youtube guys and try not to get too frustrated.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:37 am »
Your very welcome Jeff, I hope it works out for you. It's nice to be able to change things up a bit. Not just do the same thing all the time. Keeps things interesting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Blitzkrieg721

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:25:19 am »
Hey, NYbowyer, I have a nice PDF I found on the web that covers a lot of stuff if you are into reading. It ranges from the basics terminology to the physics of flake removals. Good information on making tools and also on heat treating stone. shootm me you e-mail and I can send it. its WAYYYY to big to post on the site here LOL. Let me know.

Adam