Author Topic: Help on a black locust bow  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Krp

Help on a black locust bow
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:08:39 am »
I've been working on a black locust bow that I think the back is questionable on. I am wanting to try a backing for the first time.

The bow is 64" ttt and 1 3/4" at the fades tapering down to 1/2" at the nocks. What would be the best backing to use on black locust? Sinew, bamboo, or something else.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline TimBo

Re: Help on a black locust bow
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:30:53 am »
If you heat treat the belly, you might get away with sinew or boo (although those combinations don't seem to be common - maybe someone else has tried it and will chime in); otherwise, rawhide would be a much better option. 

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:19:22 am »
I'm not very experienced but BL is stronger in tension than compression
It works well with trapped design
I'd go for a "light" backing(rawhide or silk?).
I fear that boo or sinew could induce chrisalys

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:28:03 am »
another vote for rawhide
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:48 am »
If you have already started making the bow then trying to work the back down for a Bamboo backing will most likely be a lot of work but Bamboo does work quite well on BL.  Sinew also works quite well on BL and you don't have to worry about getting the back flat
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:03:20 pm »
What backing materials do you have at your disposition?

Without precision power tools (?), bamboo backing an existing bow isn't the easiest thing to do. Sinewing isn't too difficult, but getting tendons prepped into sinew fibres is another thing (not my favorite passtime). Sinew will not overpower the belly or cause chrysals/fretting, it's too elastic for that. If you sinew it, keep the bow short (60" or less).

Flax is easy to apply (like sinewing), but it's very strong so keep it thin. There are other plant fiber backings that are very useful too and a bit more elastic.
Rawhide will protect the back, but it will likely make the bow a bit slower due to the extra mass and hardly add any draw weight.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:10:57 pm »
Just wondering how the back is in tough shape.  You should chase to a heartwood ring when possible  provided you have enough heartwood for a bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Krp

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 05:02:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have sinew on hand and think I may go with that.

Offline Krp

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 05:08:27 pm »
Just wondering how the back is in tough shape.  You should chase to a heartwood ring when possible  provided you have enough heartwood for a bow. Jawge

Jawge, I'm a greenhorn and chasing a ring on this locust is kicking my tail lol. I didn't have a problem with osage but I'm having a hard time with this locust. I can't tell if I'm working the same ring or not. :-[ I figured this bow would give me a chance to try a backing.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:07 pm »

Jawge, I'm a greenhorn and chasing a ring on this locust is kicking my tail lol. I didn't have a problem with osage but I'm having a hard time with this locust. I can't tell if I'm working the same ring or not. :-[ I figured this bow would give me a chance to try a backing.
That seems strange to me. The black locust staves I have worked had a very distinct difference in the rings. Do you have very thin rings?

Offline Krp

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:15:41 pm »

That seems strange to me. The black locust staves I have worked had a very distinct difference in the rings. Do you have very thin rings?

I'm just learning and may be way off here. The rings nearer the back are really thin. There is a decent ring on down but if I follow that ring down the side of the bow, it dips down towards the belly so far I don't think I could get the limb thin enough without cutting through it on the belly side.

This piece of wood may not be worth messing with, I'm not sure,  but I thought I could use it as a learning experience nonetheless.  Here is a pic

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 06:27:34 pm »
From that pic, looks like your back is sapwood to me and why you’re having a hard time telling the rings apart. The dark ring right above your thumbnail is what I would consider a good ring. Those dark rings will be hard and the light rings between will be crumbly and kinda brittle feeling. I don’t know where you should go from here. Someone with more experience will no doubt know how to proceed and chime in.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:57:04 am »
TBIII and linen. Easy to apply, cures in a day or two, accepts stain or die well and it is amazingly strong.  I just go to A fabric store but check the remnants first.

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »
From that pic, looks like your back is sapwood to me and why you’re having a hard time telling the rings apart. The dark ring right above your thumbnail is what I would consider a good ring. Those dark rings will be hard and the light rings between will be crumbly and kinda brittle feeling. I don’t know where you should go from here. Someone with more experience will no doubt know how to proceed and chime in.
Yes.... the ring he references is the one you want..... Should be smooth sailing from there..