Author Topic: Set-back handles?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Set-back handles?
« on: June 24, 2017, 07:22:51 pm »
I'd love to see what ya'll have made in the way of "Gullwing" or set-back handle bows. I'm curious about how long they are, whether or not sinew was used, and what the tiller looks like braced, unbraced, and at full draw.

I also was wondering if anyone has tried the following...

I have a stave of Lilac with a dramatic natural bend that is very even and balanced throughout. I could think of it as naturally reflexed, and heat some deflex into the handle area, giving it a D/R profile or...

Could I think of it as naturally deflexed and heat reflex into the handle area, giving it a set-back-handle profile? Anyone ever done this?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Set-back handles?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:56:23 pm »
Wizardgoat made a beaut out of yew that's BOM I think.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:33:44 pm »
Goat, I see you're on the board  :D...

Love check it out if you have a link to the thread  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:06:07 pm »
Matt Wirwicki had a beautiful bow on the raffle table at the Classic.  It had a set back handle.  I dropped a lot of tickets on that bow but I think it ended up going home with Loope.  Maybe he can post some pictures of it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:56 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59602.msg828114.html#msg828114

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58004.0.html

Both bows are sinew backed, and both from dead standing trees.
Ive bent deflex  into reflexed staves, it works great. Never bent a handle into reflex on a deflexed stave, but I'm sure it would work just fine.
Just like deflexing a handle can lengthen your potential draw length, setting back a handle lowers it, so design your bow a little longer than you think. That copperhead bow, I was actually aiming for 28", but i feel I maxed out at 26". Depending on how set back your handle is, it should flatten out at full draw.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:44:16 am »
Hi upstate, I'm working on something just like that at the moment, I just set back the handle last night on my laurel bow to make a three-curve, looks cool unbraced, here it is before I set the handle back
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59831.390.html

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 07:43:03 am »
Ryan, I remember both of those bows. Two of my absolute favorite bows I've seen on PA. I see what you mean about giving a little at FD. I would think that sinew is indispensable for allowing that to happen without the set-back handle pulling out?

Clint, I'd love to see it. Did it have sinew on it I wonder?

Stuck, lookin' good so far  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 07:44:59 am »
Its been several years, but Josh (Gundoc) made a sweety. I think it won BOM. Mighta' been 2011-2012?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:59:50 am »
I am a huge fan of set back handle bows and have made a few. The braced profile when done correctly is a thing of beauty to me. With that being said they are not fun to shoot at targets. The design inherently produces a bow that bucks really bad. Now if hunting bison off horseback is your thing that is where they shine. Don't get me wrong though I will continue to make them.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:59 am »
I don't think sinew is absolutely necessary, if you want to make a self bow use a wood that bends and holds well with heat, and make it a little longer.
I have to disagree with Jon though, my copperhead 5 curve is one of my sweetest shooting bows.

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 10:27:03 am »
Ryan that copperhead bow of yours is sweet. Not trying to fuss but that is not very much setback and prolly why it shoots smooth. Typical plains setback handle bows were usually no longer than 46" and most were shorter. I'm not trying to take anything away from that bow Ryan I really dig it. I may not understand what the OP was really asking. I think of plains bows when three curve or five curve is mentioned. Just putting setback in a handle is an entirely different thing. I'm done rambling now  :P

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:43:34 am »
No worries Jon, the copperhead bow has nearly 1.5" of setback, may not look like it with the built up handle. Ive only made 3 of this style, so I'll admit I don't know what is considered a lot of set back.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 10:45:38 am »
The second bow I posted is closer to replica dimensions.
I've never chronied it, but now I'm pretty curious. Especially with the sinew string

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 10:51:21 am »
The design produces a powerful bow with a short stroke. I dig shooting them at 10-12 yards with a chest draw.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 02:42:59 pm »
Here is a selection of mine:
http://primitive-bows.com/tag/5-curve/
Simon
Bavaria, Germany