Author Topic: Thinning Two Ton Epoxy  (Read 1907 times)

Offline hedgehog

Thinning Two Ton Epoxy
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:26:50 pm »
I have heard about this and would like to try it. What should I use to thin it? I imagine the thinning agent would be added after the two parts are mixed? Any info from experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

Offline PatM

Re: Thinning Two Ton Epoxy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:05 pm »
People thin Epoxy WAY too much. Lacquer thinner is the best readily available thinner and it actually takes mere drops to thin epoxy.

You will however still get recommendations to use a cup of acetone to dilute a few CCs of mix.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:59:32 pm »
I use acetone to thin 2 ton epoxy. I like it watery and use it to saturate hemp cord handle wraps. I like to really soak it in until it won't take more. once the acetone flashes off the epoxy begins to cure. Some folks use it as a bow finish and have a ratio of thinner and epoxy(aka Massey finish) but for me it is too finicky to deal with as a finish.
 I mix the epoxy first then thin it. I believe the folks that use it for finish say it isn't necessary to mix first because it will mix once thinned.
I think you can store the thinned epoxy in an air tight container for a day or two and just shake it up before using it. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »
It's too finicky because they thin it way to much. ;) Really..Adjust the ratio and Epoxy is not a finicky finish at all. In fact it's probably less finicky than any typical hand applied finish.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 07:55:08 am »
Devcon 2 ton epoxy  24 hour cure
I have used it to spray finish a bows several times.
you need 2 tubes of devcon and 2/3rd cup Acetone.
Put the Acetone in a cup, add the epoxy ,stir until dissolved.
spray a coat every 30 min. about 6 coats.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:37:26 am »
I've used it like pat b to seal a cord handle wrap but I just use rubbing alcohol.
Mix up some epoxy mix in alcohol until I get the consistency I want and then brush on with a cheap dollarstore paint brush.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:33:49 am »
For saturating cord wrapped handles I just fold a paper towel in 1/3 then roll that into a log held together with rubber bands(optional) then dip the log in the mixture and daub it on the cord until it is saturated.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC