Author Topic: Rawhide for the Belly ?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline legend

Rawhide for the Belly ?
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:02:07 am »
Hello all ,
Still in the learning stage , so would like to ask another question .
If you are making a Flat bow made of something like Ash , would it be practical to use thin  Rawhide to both back the bow and also use it on the belly (stretching into the fades ) as a protection against the bow splintering or even breaking ?
Once applied can you use woodstain on the rawhide with any success  ?
Thanks .
Mike

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Rawhide for the Belly ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:10 am »
Some bows are completely wrapped in coverings such as leather but i'd have thought rawhide to prevent breakage against a compression failure wouldn't work, only guessing though.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:37 am »
I've heard of and seen once a native bow completely covered with gut tube from a deer or elk.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:09 am »
Splinters lift from the tension side, the back, not the compression side, the belly. Adding rawhide to the belly would only add extra physical weight with little if any other benefits..
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:12:04 pm »
Pat's answer stands.  Says it all.

As for staining, sure.  I usually go over the rawhide lightly with 220 grit first, and expect the finish to come out a bit blotchy.  The lighter areas are likely due to oils or grease in the hide, and the darker has less oil/grease and better absorbs the oil based stains I use. That blotchy staining will also break up the outline of the bow, adding a camo effect sometimes.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline legend

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
Hello Guys ,
Thanks for your answers , so to get this right , if I applied Rawhide to the back of the Flat bow would I do this before or after tillering the bow ?
Thanks.
Mike

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:52:57 pm »
Hello Guys ,
Thanks for your answers , so to get this right , if I applied Rawhide to the back of the Flat bow would I do this before or after tillering the bow ?
Thanks.
Mike
I have always applied the rawhide before tillering the bow. I have floor tillered bows before putting the rawhide on but I've always put the rawhide on before putting the bow on the tillering stick. Hope this helps.

Aaron
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:56:39 pm by ajbruggink »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »
I usually add rawhide at about full brace time. I want to be sure no heat treating or adjustments are needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline legend

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 05:02:53 am »
Thanks for your info guys .
Mike