Author Topic: Heat gun help  (Read 2737 times)

Offline jeffp51

Heat gun help
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:19:37 am »
I just burned out my third heat gun in three years. Any suggestions for a quality replacement?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heat gun help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:21:51 am »
I use the 25$ yellow Wagner, most of my friends use the same gun. I have bought two, still on number two. I can only guess 200 bows have been done in total, just a guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 10:24:09 am »
I use the same gun as PD. It's lasted 3 years now. Are you standing it on the back end when it's cooling?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:25:27 am »
My first is still going, but tosses a spark here and there and I figgered that wasn't good for a dusty, chippy, curly bow shop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:45:57 am »
I use a porter cable heat gun, and haven't had any issue, but I've only been using it a year. My dad uses a Milwaukee, and it's been running for him for years.
Eric

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 10:48:05 am »
PD where do I find a Wagner heat gun?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 11:00:33 am »
Lowe's or Home Depot, I bought my last at Home Depot, $23, 2 heat settings, it does all I need it to do.

This is my third,  I dropped #1 too many times on the floor and broke the ceramic disc in the front, I held #2 too close to a limb (right on) when I was heat treating and burned it up, I am being more careful with #3, it should out last me. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 11:08:47 am »
I believe both of mine came from a ma and pop hardware near work. They are easy to be found as Eric said. I see this model more often than any other brand. I think because it suits the needs of 98% of heat gun users.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 12:01:13 pm »
I have an old B&D I paid $5 for at a flea market about 20 years ago and it's still going strong. I think if I needed another I'd get a Wagner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 12:10:45 pm »
I'm still using my wagner I bought in 2009. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »
I use the 25$ yellow Wagner, most of my friends use the same gun. I have bought two, still on number two. I can only guess 200 bows have been done in total, just a guess.

Burnt one of those out after about 5 years.  I'm on #4 now, a cheapo from ebay.  It's getting hard to find a plain and simple heat-gun around here
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:15 pm »
  I use a Masters, they have a strong blower in them and put out a lot of heat. A bit pricey at around $140.00 but I have had mine for over 20 years and it gets a lot of use. Repair parts are easy to get and easy to install and cheap. I have replaced a switch, and a couple of heating units over the years and one cord that I burned.

Offline Linc

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 08:18:36 am »
My first heat gun was an el cheapo from Harbor Freight. It lasted for quite a few years. When it got burned out a couple years ago I bought 2 of the newer version and both burned out after a few uses. Then I got a better $40. model from them and so far it is holding up but I have not put it to heavy use. Time will tell.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 08:20:59 am »
  I use a Masters, they have a strong blower in them and put out a lot of heat. A bit pricey at around $140.00 but I have had mine for over 20 years and it gets a lot of use. Repair parts are easy to get and easy to install and cheap. I have replaced a switch, and a couple of heating units over the years and one cord that I burned.

Thanks for the tip, Steve. Im saving my pennies for one of these babies. Not that my Wagner doesn't work, but I really like the sounds of yours. Im a fix-it kind of guy and would prefer to repair as to fill a land fill.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:36:49 am by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline Pago

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 06:22:11 pm »
I recently had to replace mine.  I bought this one at HF https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-12-interval-heat-gun-430-800-570-1160-69343.html
I really like this heat gun, temp control and auto cool off mode. Made a lot of bamboo arrows with no problem so far.