Author Topic: Tiller question  (Read 5338 times)

Offline DC

Re: Tiller question
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
I just went out and tried about 10 shots and then one of my tips sheared off. No harm done. The chrono worked very well. It's been broken before. It's a poor design. The wire that support the shades actually plug into the plastic sensor housings. If you hit the wire with an arrow or drop it the sensor housing comes apart and pieces go everywhere. Then because the screws strip out of the housing they never go back quite the same. This time because I glued it back together maybe it worked better. I dunno.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 05:45:13 pm »
tip sheard off,,,more info please,, (--)

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 06:01:47 pm »
I've not had this happen since I started using Ocean Spray tips. It just split off. It was a temporary tip. I may have started the split when I was filing the groove. Sometimes my file seems to bind a bit in the slot.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »
DC,
The grain on the overlays need to be perpendicular to the back of the bow.  I'll take a pic of the hackberry molle I'm working with osage overlays for an example.  You should never have that issue, that's why overlays are added....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline k-hat

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 06:17:04 pm »
What's the grain orientation of your overlays?  I've had the string split the overlay along the grain just like that with some overlays.  Didn't learn my lesson and did it again, then somebody suggested putting the overlay with the rings perpendicular to the back of the bow, helped  but the wood was still too soft (mahogany I think).  FWIW

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 06:23:49 pm »
I usually do it that way, grain perpendicular. I'm not sure this time as it was just a temp. OS is so strong it surprised me. It's sawdust now so I can't check. New one is on, perpendicular, glue is drying.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 06:28:16 pm »
Here is the pic's.................Hope this help's .....I would not even put a temporary on that way. If it failed it could break your bow...
I love using tight ringed osage for overlays.
DBar
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:51:02 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 10:42:48 am »
It occurred to me that I had reduced my strings from 10 strands of FF to eight. That probably didn't help. I'll remember to put in some short strands next one.