Author Topic: Trade blanket bow build  (Read 20751 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Trade blanket bow build
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »
You are spending too much time on the tractor BJ   ;D
You could have a point there Clint, but I just love the feel of a bow I just finished sanding.
Bjrogg

Nothing should come between a man and his bow. ...unless it's his arm guard!  - OneBow

I know Onebow, I can't fit em in the tractor cab. I tried, might have to make a little 48" bendy, sinew backed.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:53 pm »
I put the finish on the bow today.  This is my new favorite sealer.  I was putting a coat on the bow every 5 minutes. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:34 pm »
Clint, I haven't checked this thread since before the sanding to 600 grit. I don't think it's overkill, that is the smoothest and sweetest looking fade transition area I've ever seen. I think that particular area of the bow has so much aesthetic potential and you filled it bud. Awesome.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2017, 07:35:43 pm »
That fade transition looks sweet Clint!  Clean as a whistle.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2017, 09:32:05 pm »
looking good Clint
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:03 am »
How does that finish compare to truOil or a poly finish? Do you still put in 10 +/- coatings then run out? I like the idea of a spray in finish since my finishing and rubbing out abilities with non spray on is a bit crude and I spend a lot of time re-coating.
Eric

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:44 am »
How does that finish compare to truOil or a poly finish? Do you still put in 10 +/- coatings then run out? I like the idea of a spray in finish since my finishing and rubbing out abilities with non spray on is a bit crude and I spend a lot of time re-coating.

It comes in satin and gloss.  I like the looks of the satin better.  I put 2 thin coats down first and then 3 thicker coats.  This stuff dries to the touch in about 2 minutes.  It's $7 for a can and that will do 2-3 bows.  I like the idea of getting a bow completely sealed and dry in 30 minutes.  Here is the fade with 5 coats of sealer.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2017, 11:18:34 am »
Are you going to be at the September shoot Paoliguy?

Still taking it slow on the long string.  The right limb is a tad stiffer than the left.

I'm going to be there. If nothing else just to see this bow!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2017, 11:20:03 am »
Beautiful finish work

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2017, 11:33:12 am »
Thanks OO, I'm going to give that a shot. Putting coatings on any project is the slowest most tedious process to me.
I'm really enjoying your follow/build along. Thanks for posting
Eric

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:23 pm »
Thanks OO, I'm going to give that a shot. Putting coatings on any project is the slowest most tedious process to me.
I'm really enjoying your follow/build along. Thanks for posting

It was for me also.  I'd put one coat of tru oil or tung oil on a bow a day and then try to find a good spot to put it where the wife, pets, or kids wouldn't knock it down. 

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2017, 08:37:17 pm »
I'd like to try that stuff as well. You can't beat 30 minutes. I heard this saying about tung oil...

Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for life.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2017, 09:09:33 am »
I gotta say good pics OO seeing why that hedge nice even ring fade out is so appealing to me.Nice find of that finish too.I use a lacquer finish myself that dries very quickly.Shootable within an hour for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2017, 09:31:12 am »
I can't take the credit for finding that finish.  The FG bow guys on trad gang have been using it for a while. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2017, 09:44:14 am »
I can't take the credit for finding that finish.  The FG bow guys on trad gang have been using it for a while. 
Same here.My FG bow making friends here turned me onto lacquer.Does it say what the ingredients in it are in the can?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed