Author Topic: getting sinew off bow  (Read 1114 times)

Offline gfugal

getting sinew off bow
« on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:07 pm »
How does one go about getting all the sinew off a bow to reuse on another? I'm guessing you soak it in water, maybe in a tub. But how long, and does it matter if the water goes cold? Do you have to pry it off or does it just fall off, and once it is off is there anything you have to do to processes it again? Sorry for so many questions, just never done it before, and it doesn't say anything in the TBB1
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: getting sinew off bow
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:45 pm »
I soaked a broken bow in warm water until I could get under the sinew and slowly peel it off in one sheet. I soaked the intact sinew sheet in warm water to remove the glue and separate the sinew strands.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:19:43 am »
As Pat said, but if the sheet stays intact you can apply it again on the new bow.
I had posted  a bow were I've done that, but photobucket killed all my pics. So look here:
http://primitive-bows.com/osage-plains-bow-5224-no-56/

Good luck!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 02:05:23 am »
It takes longer than you think!
I've currently got three hornbows in a barrel. I used an unknown core wood and paid the price....don't use rowan for hornbow cores it warps.