Author Topic: Penobscot bow question  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Penobscot bow question
« on: August 27, 2017, 09:20:25 pm »
I'm about to start on an osage Penobscot for a friend. I've got most of the details and how I want to build it figured out. The two things that elude me right now.

1- how much reflex do I put into the little bow?
2- how much weight would the second bow add? I know it'll very quite a bit depending on how stuff the little one is and the angles of everything, more just looking for a ball park number.

I'm planning on building a 35-40# deflex/reflex as my main bow leaving the handle 1" deep. Then making the little bow 1/2" thick and making it into a little bendy handle where the handle just barely moves. Then reflex it so that the tips are pointing in about a 45* angle from the handle. I'm going to use two 1/16" pegs to keep the bows lines up, then use rawhide pulled tight and dipped in hide glue before applying to help keep them together. Then tweak the tiller as needed. I'm going to use deer antler for the tie down post and the guide fork on the little bow.

This sound reasonable?

Kyle

Offline JonW

Re: Penobscot bow question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:58:54 pm »
Kyle I think you are overcomplicating your build. Just get a good flat mating surface where the two bows will touch together. Doesn't even need to be laminate type flat. Wrap with rawhide thong and you're good to go. Too many variables to comment on how much the back bow will add.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »
PM half-eye. He was on a penobscot kick for a while.

He had a lot of good info in his posts. He posted his build in "real time" so you got to see all his issues and eventual solutions. You should see if you can find the old thread. After the photobucket thing though his pics may no longer work.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:24 pm »
half eye built some really nice penobscot.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:15:01 pm »
I have a Half eye Penobscot bow. Real fun to shoot