Author Topic: Newbie to traditional bows  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Grumpy Bear

Newbie to traditional bows
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:15:51 am »
Hi all,

New to traditional bows.  I have about 30 yrs of archery experience with compound bows and shot a recurve when I was younger.  I purchased my first longbow from from Cabelas about 2 yrs ago...I know, I know don't shoot me please.

So with that being said.  Are there drawings, plans and whatnot for building the bows?  Also I live in Northern VA. So I am looking for appropriate wood to build bows and arrows. I have some maple trees, lots of black gum and oak.  Occasionally I can run across walnut, hickory and cherry.  Can someone please point me in the right direction.   Thanks in advance

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Newbie to traditional bows
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:56:04 am »
Welcome to PA grumpy bear. I really don't have the time right now to explain all you need to know to build a selfbow. If you have zero knowledge I'd suggest watching some YouTube videos. There are actually some pretty good ones out there and you can learn the basics from them. It kinda has its own vocabulary and there's more to it than just whittling out something that looks like a bow. Helps us explain if you know the basics. Lots of good bowyers here very willing to help.

Sorry gotta run now
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:09:28 am »
Welcome to P.A.  I would suggest getting this DVD by Gary Davis.  I wish I had this video when I got started. 

http://www.3riversarchery.com/rattlestick-a-selfbow-tutorial-dvd-by-gary-s-davis.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:47:29 am »
Welcome to the PA grumpy bear.It's an addictive hobby bud.Have fun.Lots of info out there to get started and help along the way to finish it here too.Most woods are good bow woods.It's the density of them that makes the width and designs a little different.Read up on it sometime in the TBB 1 book too.That could help you get started.There's things about bows and arrows building that a person learns about archery in general that are very beneficial to you down the road.Plus you can fix your own problems without going to Cabelas.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 03:03:04 pm »
Welcome Grumpy Bear I second Gary Davis DVD excelent DvD also good guidence on TBB1 also a step by step easy read & easy build is Paul Comstocks The Bent Stick built my first usable bow from it , this craft should come with a warning lable it can take over your life..Ha!Ha!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 04:35:42 pm »
In case you don't know TBB1 means Traditional Bowyers Bible. There are 4 volumes. Volume 1 is enough to get you building good bows. This might be helpful http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45923.0.html
As well as this: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,978.0.html

P.S. Maple should work great!
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 06:44:52 pm »
My site may help. Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »
Looks like your getting lots of good advice where to get the basics grumpy bear. Another warning you'll never look at trees the same way again. If you start knapping and making arrows you won't look at stones or brush the same either. You will find yourself hoarding all of these materials. You will be checking out your neighborhood trees, even the trees in the park or campgrounds. The stones in the landscaping. Start collecting them as soon as you can, you'll be surprised how many staves you can go through when this bug bites you. Don't worry though, embrace it. It's just nature in its purest form. It's your primal instincts. It's taking a string and two sticks a making them come alive and it can be totally addictive.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »
haha it's so true. Every tree is a potential bow in my mind
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:25:21 am »
Also if your married  you will start hearing things like is that all your going to do today play cow boys &  Indians and the appropriate answer is Yep , and you will start getting creative lists of things to do that where never there before , you might even find your self getting up and 2:00 am to sneak some bow work before the honey dews , its a progresive disease -C-
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Grumpy Bear

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 12:58:36 pm »
I appreciate all the advise... My wife already dislikes my sawmill hobby so I may as well continue .

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
Be glad you found this sight, there's too much information on here to absorb. I wish I would have found this years ago. To this date, Ive only met one other bowyer in person, whom I only spoke with for about 20 minutes at a traditional shoot, so this place is a saving grace. Between this sight and the TBB series, you have access to all the knowledge. It really is an obsession, trees are now possible bows, a handsaw is an everyday carry item, and "do you really need that many bows" becomes a common question that you may  hear, which the appropriate answer is "No.....I need more." And Welcome.
Eric