Author Topic: Meso or neo?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline bushboy

Meso or neo?
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »
Regarding the holmgaard,mollegebet and horsen fjord bows I have been getting conflicting results in term of their art work,are they from the neolithic or mesolithic period?i ask because I may try my hand at some super old school on the bow I'm working on thanks bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Meso or neo?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:57:58 pm »
According to TBB2, the earliest Holmegaard bows were from 8000 to 4000 years ago, making them mesolithic and/or early neolithic.

It's tough to find a date for the Mollegabet.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:15:18 pm »
Yep, holmegaards are solily mesolithic. By the neolithic, almost all bows were yew wood, in typical longbow fashion. Elm flatbow were mesolithic. Mollegabet, only one example, fragmented.

Kyle

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 06:07:45 am »
Think about that a 8000 year old design & it can hold it's own against a moderen FG bow of the same draw & weight !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:47:42 am »
Agreed!that's why I make them!even if I try a different design they still end up being a lever bow of some kind!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:53:34 am »
Thanks for the imfo!interesting stuff!