Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 6364 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 08:06:35 am »
What is gonna be really bad is another system is forming in the Bay of Campeche and is forecast to head straight for Houston.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 03:23:14 pm »
Boy I hope not. The Gulf surely doesn't need another storm. There is another just off of Africa coming towards the East Coast too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 10:03:31 am »
Good to hear your daughter is fine Pat B.I heard on the radio that according to their investigations only 20% have proper insurance for flooding.That always irritates me how insurance companies wiggle their way out of holding up to their end of the deal.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »
The federal government covers the insurance companies butts with flood insurance and it's usually flooding that causes the most damage. I guess if you see tat your house will be flooded just light it on fire so your homeowners will cover it.  ;)
 Thanks Ed. She been very lucky living on the 3rd floor and her car is on the 4th and not loosing electricity. Meredith has been through a couple of hurricanes or tropical storms when we lived on the SE coast in SC so she got water for drinking and flushing, had plenty of food and wine and has lots of movies and shows to watch on TV or computer. Even though she is a homebody I'm sure she's getting cabin fever after a week in her apartment. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1442

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 01:14:53 am »
I'm in Orange TX and it is really bad here between the Neches and Sabine rivers.
I've seen very little news to know much about the extent of damage outside this area, but Vidor, ,mauriceville, and Orangefeild have had massive devastating flooding.
The water from  Cow Bayou came up to the edge of our property and it is slowly receeding now.
The Neches has crested I think but the Sabine River is set to crest  tommorow
The water rescues right here are done and it is really quite and still compared to the last couple of nights.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 07:07:20 pm »
Ive spent every day since Wedn. Working on my Moms and sisters homes. My mom got several inches in her house. My older sister got 4 ft in her house and  could not get  in until Thurs. We spent yesterday  and today bustng out sheetrock and pullig out floor4ing and all her furniture, a lifetimes worth ruined along with 3 cars. She works at Nasa and we had a good crew today to help out  and was able to get alot done. Tomorrow i have to take out 2ft of sheetrock at my moms. My younger sister lives a long areek that rose over its banks Monday night. They watched it rise every night when the storms  were worse and the 4th and last night it flooded them with servall inches. Her and her neighbors are all helping each other clean out there houses. Idid not flood at my house although there were some intense moments and i dont have flood ins.. My mom and sisters live in Friendswood and i live in League city where we had 40+". Clear Creek was  higher than  than anyone ev6er seen it and thats what  flooded sveryone down here along with the creeks that feed it.

Offline 1442

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 10:56:28 pm »
The water is still slowly falling here, maybe 6" last 24 yours
Lots of food and water available at distribution sites and some stores opening with gas and deisel too.
I went to Mauriceville and saw water marks where the water has fell at least three feet but still lots of flooded areas.
Neches is slowly falling still but Vidor run off is really slow because of the river so high and they still got a long way to go.
The sabine at Dewyville has been holding steady at 31.3 for 24 hrs.
The water has been flowing the opposite direction from normal along the highway here to.
Other than that it is absolutely amazing how people have come together from all over and are just working together to meet the needs of people here and they are doing it very well.
Just a quick update.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 06:40:20 am »
Thanks for the updates Bob and 1442. Feels like I have family everywhere now with beiypart of this group. Glad to hear that everyone is pulling together and helping each other. Glad to here water is going down now. It's so nice to see these disasters bring the best out of people.
Bless You All and hang in there.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 02:29:48 pm »
I was in Vidor and it was really bad.  hundreds of cars underwater and on some houses you could step out of the boat right on to the roof.  Lots of rescue personnel, so many it seemed over staffed and several just hanging out waiting for a call.  Even a guy that came down from a helicopter couldn't find who he was supposed to rescue.  Seemed like a lot of misinformation and poor communication going on between people and the rescuers.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline 1442

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2017, 10:55:11 pm »
Thankyou! Primitive Tim for being there to help people.
I grew up in Vidor and have lots of family and friends there.
Vidor schools have been suspended indefinetly as of now, and they still have a lot of water from the Neches but it is falling faster now. I 10 to Beaumont was opened this afternoon.
The rainwater in areas unaffected by the rivers have really gone down and most roads are passable now.
Lots and lots of homes are assessable now but many many more still have water in them too.
Traffic over the rainbow bridge has been crawling into port Aurther all day but I 10 reopening should relieve that.

I saw a massive operation setting up to repair a damaged railroad tressel in South Vidor too.

It's a mess.