Author Topic: first time bow making, need advise  (Read 1296 times)

Offline rhino519

first time bow making, need advise
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:22:53 am »
Hello all,
I've been shooting bows for many years, and building one was something i wanted to do for a long time. after reading Primitive Archer mag, research on line, and talk with fellow archers i finally decided on what i wanted to do; i settled on a board bow for my first project, i picked a 6ft piece of maple, with the diners running in a right direction and begun my project about a year ago, with some delays i finally got to a stage where i'm tillering the stawe, here is my first problem; the only way i can discribe it is that the wood is limp, if i press the bow in opposite direction, then the one it's ment to bend, it remains slightly deflexed, it does not return to its original 'straightness' same thing after excersizing; the limbs will naturally droop in the direction that bow would be strung in.
is this due to wood being still wet? i'm in southern ontario, so air humidity is a problem. how can i correct this if it needs correcting?
at this time the bow is more of a longbow, with 69 1/4in nook to nook, as for pull i don't know it but it's probably in 40-50# range

Offline Stick Bender

Re: first time bow making, need advise
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:14 am »
Can you take some pics & post a side view pic that would help ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline rhino519

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:01:49 am »
i will try tonight, don't know how to do that from the phone

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:04:49 am »
From what you describe, that is classic set. The culprit can be one or more things. Wet wood will take set more quickly than dry. Is it green?  To narrow or to short for the design can cause it. Poor tiller can cause the problem as well. First, post pics and folks can help determine what's happening and then why. Then you can address the issues.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:21 pm »
There is nothing wrong with a little set, I don't think I have ever seen a board bow without some. You can heat treat the belly to get rid of some of the set, you would need a reflexed form to treat the limbs on.