Author Topic: Visit with Joe  (Read 3136 times)

Stringman

Visit with Joe
« on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:55 am »
Back in June I had the pleasure of drivin up to Joe's place and spending some time with him and his wife Eloise. What a fantastic friend he has become. Not to mention an extremely capable artisan and craftsman. Dave and I drove out in a day and were fortunate to spend 3 days roaming the hills and eat some purty fine table fare laid out by our gracious hosts! Several times Joe leaned over and said, "I'm sure glad you guys came, she never feeds me this good unless there's company." I didn't believe him for a minute!

Meals were better than we deserved and perfect opportunities to get to know these fine folks even better. Afterward we would sit around and listen to Joe tell stories about his life or hunting, completely at ease in the ambiance of his home. My eyes would drift from one museum quality piece to another while he would regale us with his limitless experience of elk hunts gone by.

In the morning we would wake up and move to the porch where any number and variety of animals were constantly in view. Buffaloe, elk, wolf, coyote, deer, moose, bear and cats are all common in his yard and he had several pair of binos ready at hand for viewing.

From the kitchen.

One morning after breakfast we packed up and headed for the hills. We drove the side by side to the end of the road and threw on packs and began to climb. It was a little out of the way spot he called the black hole. Not 15 mins into the walk and Davey (who didn't even know what an elk shed looked like) said, "hey what's this!"

It was the only thing we found that day but oh what a souvenir!on the way up we had split up to take a different path and I stayed with Davey. The plan was to meet up st skyline and the. Come down a different route. Best laid plans and all... we eventually met back up at the side by side only a little late for supper. Joe looked at me and said, "if we're late you're gonna be in trouble and you don't want trouble from the boss!" So he threw me the keys and said careful on the curves. ;D

View from the top

On the way back down the mountain.

Incredible trip! Beautiful country! Amazing friendship!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:44:08 am by ScottS »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Visit with Joe
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:15:43 pm »
Amazing trip for sure, Scooter. I don't know Joe and Joe doesn't know me, but we did meet briefly at pappys several years ago and he seemed very kind and gentle to me. A good soul for certain.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:39:39 pm »
Beautiful land, and that drum!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »
Now that's Gods' country there.Great pics.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 03:05:29 pm »
Aaron, that drum was one of a half dozen he had made up for the grandkids. He also had a floor model that was suspended on a wooden frame with rawhide. I felt like such a kid beating that drum and listening to the deep resonance of that primitive piece. I wish I'd taken pictures of everything in the house, but I didn't. Drums, knives, pipes, flint knapped pieces, flutes, tables, cabinet work, turned bowls and assorted furniture pieces - he is a master in wood, stone, or leather!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »
Joe is a good man. I wish I could of had the time to get over the mountain to see him when I was in Idaho.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:29:47 pm »
...and I thought I lived in beautiful country.  ::)  That's one part of our beautiful country I have yet to visit but it is definitely on my bucket list.
 (-S  (R  (W  (S)   :OK   I've heard Joe talk about that view out of the kitchen window. I could deal with seeing that every day.
Thanks for inviting us in Joe and Eloise and thanks for taking us there, Scott.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »
More drums

When we got separated up at skyline, Dave and I were unsure what to do. Ultimately we decided to head back to the side by side, but befor we left I thought I'd heard a shot. As it turns out, Joe had walked all the way around the rim and was waving at us from the far face. This is big country so I guess I just wasn't looking close enough.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
Man that's beautiful  (A)

Makes me want to move!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 07:36:02 pm »
Trip of a lifetime.  Beautiful pictures Scott.  Joe is a guy everybody should meet if given the opportunity.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 08:45:23 pm »
        Thanks for sharing Scott, that is beautiful county for sure. Something a flatlander like me always gets a thrill out of seeing.
       Never meet Joe but wow, beautiful stuff. Very talented and I'm sure a very nice person.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 11:25:14 pm »
WOW what a view thanks Scott for sharing

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:23 am »
I would like to meet Joe!  He is a master of the Old Ways!  Beautiful work, and a marvelous view from his place!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PNewton

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 04:43:20 am »
Great story and pictures. Joe sounds like a good guy. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 03:03:11 am »
Yep he is a great guy for sure, love to make it out there one day, and just might now that I am retiring. ;) :) :) Thanks for sharing with us Scott. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good