Author Topic: Cub Scouts?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Cub Scouts?
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:52 pm »
Just got back from an introductory cub scout meeting with my little guy. They're doing a pilot program for kindergarteners. Think I might sign him up. Good values, time in the woods, ect. Never did it myself as a kid. Just wondering if anyone out there would recommend it.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Cub Scouts?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »
I highly recommend it!
Its probably called tiger cubs.  They use to do that for 5 year olds. It can be a little time consuming but its a lot of fun for the little guys. Its probably the best thing you could do for your youngen!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:04 pm »
Cool. Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »
upstatenybowyer it's worth it my son is 8 this is his third year in cub scouts he has learned a lot.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:38:12 pm »
I might also say that I may be a little biased.  I started as a cubby and went all the way through to Eagle Scout.  Went on to being an assistant Scout Master.  I would love to get back in it,  some of the best times in my child hood was in scouting.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:57 pm »
Got to agree with Patrick, good program overall!  Kept me out of jail?, maybe, started late in the Explorer program, and got my Eagle Scout, qualified for the Silver Explorer award, but didn't process the paperwork when I left for college.  A buddy of mine did get both, not very many of them out there!  They will tab you for your expertise, and try to arm twist you into a Cub/Scoutmaster position, sooner or later! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 02:09:22 am »
If it's half as good as what we've got in the UK it will be awesome for him!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:52 am »
I highly recommend the cub scout.  Something else you might look into is 4H.   It's a whole lot more than livestock.  Josh

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 04:58:50 pm »
Thank you guys very much for the input. I'll be signing him up next Wednesday.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:48 pm »
Thank you guys very much for the input. I'll be signing him up next Wednesday.  ;)

Awesome!

Patrick

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »
It was a good experience for my son. Be ready to pitch in though. If the poor leader is expected to do everything the whole experience suffers. It's pretty fun for the adults too if you get in there and help out!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 04:57:54 pm »
Should be a good experience for your son Jeff.Especially with a father who's interested.That's all it takes sometimes.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed