Author Topic: Mulberry staves  (Read 1527 times)

Offline RAU

Mulberry staves
« on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:30 am »
I've got a co worker that's had a pretty large and straight mullberry tree blow over 2+ months ago. The main trunk looks to be atleast a ft in diameter (I've only seen phone pics) and off the ground but has been out in weather since it fell over. I'd never take the time to split staves out of a white wood that's been un split  and out in the weather for 2+ months  but I'm wondering how mulberry might weather these conditions. Would any of you use this for anything but firewood? I know Osage can handle this rough treatment just fine don't know about mulberry. Thanks for any advice

Don

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Mulberry staves
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »
If it is off the ground you are good to go with mulberry, wouldn't trust the sapwood but the heartwood shoold be good

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:27:37 pm »
Mulberry and osage are close cousins. Mulberry is even yellow and changes color with age just like osage. There are two types of mulberry, red, and white. I have built bows if the red but not if white. Just make the bow a little bit wider thicker longer than osage and you should be fine. I have used the sapwood on mulberry bows, and if the tree is living, with undamaged sap, you should be fine.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 02:30:09 pm »
I use only heartwood, same as on osage.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:34:30 pm »
Are leaves still on the tree? If so the trunk should be just fine. Mulberry is somewhat rot resistant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC