Author Topic: To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (another item added 03/30)  (Read 15983 times)

keekeerun

Re: To Those Promised (TWB Calls)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 12:37:35 pm »
good deal I kinda like the look of the blue gray color, I'll try and find some thanks

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »
Hawkbow, send picture of wife ....................................  ;D Just kidding, afraid you better keep the wife and kids (it's cheaper and safer), my wife probably wouldn't appreciate it, and might not make me any more Turkey Soup. I'm sure we can get together (let's take it to PMs or e-mail). I got into knapping and was just beginning to get the hang of it a little when i quit for last deer season and haven't got back to it yet, I love knapped points and knapped knives (those "blades" kept breaking on me), also primitive arrows. So we have lots of fertile ground to work from, looks like.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:31:34 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 08:44:41 pm »
Well, I have the six on the left done now - will start shipping those out tomorrow and hope to finish the other six and get them out by end of the week. Maybe I'll get a pic of the finished ones tomorrow AM and post it up.

In fact since I plan to pack them this evening, and there is still a little light left - DUH! I guess I better get a pic now, if I want one. Be back in a bit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:17:19 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 10:15:06 pm »
OK - the first half, finished and ready for pack/ship (I do the ones with only one winding first - LOL):

The first two are just one of the results of a fund raising aution for a couple of baby boys who got a rough start in life. They are doing well now and their respective fathers are looking forward to taking them Turkey hunting with them in the future - the Dad's can change the lanyards as the boys grow/age. Number three is for a winner in that same auction whose favorite team colors are red and black. Number four, also won in a (different) auction, Is for the Founder of PaleoPlanet. Number five is for a chap who was very generous with chunks of Osage Orange for knife handles, etc. (some know him as "nugget"), Number six is a surprise for a gentleman who has been most generous with his leather work, specially embossed for this ol' Marine.

Hope everyone likes them. I have the other six decorated but not with their lanyards yet. I'll post them when I get finished, if you like.

Ha! I just noticed I have to put another (second) winding of sinew on # six - LOL
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:22:29 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

Re: To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (new pics added 03/24)
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 07:30:49 pm »
Ready, Pack, Ship - and this is how they looked just before going to the post Office this AM, heading out to the recipients. Heads up, nugget et al - LOL

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

Re: To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (new pics added 03/24)
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 04:35:40 pm »
Just to finish this one off, here are pics of the second six from above, finished and ready to send out. You might see a name or two you recognize, or not, but they are all pretty much for good folks, who have done good deeds, IMO:

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

Re: To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (new pics added 03/27)
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 12:57:25 pm »
Also, while I'm at it, I'd like to show y'all this Turkey yelper made of River Cane. Simply by nesting graduated sizes and lengths of Cane together to produce a sound you like, then gluing, decorating as you care to (or not), and perhaps spraying (as in the bone ones) for extra protection. Use it/them the same as the Wing Bone Calls. You can also do this with hollow Carbon Rods (sometimes known as arrows  ;) ) in graduated sizes and lengths, or whatever other tube materials your busy little mind can come up with -   ;D

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: To Those Promised (TWB Calls) (another item added 03/30)
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 06:07:42 pm »
Hey ber643, I only have one thing to say:  "Buildalong".  Actually I think that's like three words stitched together, but "hey".   ;D

Super great job.  I made one a long time ago when I was a kid.  It was from the cooked Thanksgiving day turkey.  I was a little soft, but it sort of worked.  Never hunted with it though.   ::)

Those are really great looking works of art. 

Thanks for sharing.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ber643

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 06:26:44 pm »
OB, I often use cooked bones (baked/stewed) but I boil them (for bleaching and removing meat/marrow), after the cooking, and they seem to be as hard as the uncooked ones, which I do the same way.

I do have a pictorial Build-a-long, that I've posted on a couple of other forums, that has been very well received. I would be my pleasure to transfer one to here also, if folks would like me to.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 01:19:52 am »
Tis the season for gobblers.    8)

In the words from Oliver Twist, "Might I have some more please"

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ber643

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 09:43:23 am »
Ah - a majority of two - Otoe Bow and Oliver Twist -  ;D Well, ... make it three, (I like to post them  ;))

Does one post that type of thread directly to the "How Tos and Buid-a-longs" forum, or post here first, and then the moderators move it to there if they think it's worth saving? (Since I haven't put one on this site  - except in the Bows Forum, that is.)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 10:22:59 am »
I think you're OK to post directly to the "How to" portion. 

Otoe

Offline ber643

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
Thanks, I'll try to get started on it later today, or tomorrow AM.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 10:27:19 am »
Feel free to post a build along Bernie, beautiful calls :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 10:45:45 am »
Those are nice Bernie - I too would like to see a buildalong. Might want to try my hand at it someday :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.