Author Topic: Nocking Point Caused by Tiller? (Pics added)  (Read 2830 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Nocking Point Caused by Tiller? (Pics added)
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:27:45 pm »
I'm shooting a new bow trying to make sure I have it the way I want it before I start applying a finish.  I was trying out a bare shaft arrow today to see what I might need to order for spine and I'm having to nock my arrow what seems like very high (1.5"-2") above square to where I place my hand to have it hit the target without being extremely nock high.  Is this evidence that my tiller is not good?  If I had to say I would guess the top limb is stiffer than the bottom overall.  I'll try to get a pic posted of the full draw but wanted to see if you guys know that having to nock the arrow unusually high Is a good indication of a less than ideal tiller?  It is hitting the target extremely nock high unless I nock it way way above square.  It looks ridiculous where I'm having to put it on the string to get it to leave the bow relatively level.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:02:00 am by BarredOwl »

Offline sleek

Re: Nocking Point Caused by Tiller?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:32:23 pm »
Flip the bow end for end and try it that way.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:01:11 pm »
have you tried adjusting where you place your hand

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »
Jeff(DWS) should chime in on this. He'll set you straight.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:52 pm »
if we could see the bow unstrung,, strung and full draw,, we could guess better,,

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:23:07 pm »
I can't get my phone pics to post (too large file size). It will be a day or two before I can get some posted.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:58:12 pm »
Unbraced is with back of the bow down on the shelf and top limb is facing left. 

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Nocking Point Caused by Tiller? (Pics added)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:01:37 am »
We cannot see the pics - d. ... photobucket!
There is a relationship between nocking point and bow hand placement. Aim for a good balance, maybe you change the position of your bowhand as Brad suggested.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
It appears that by update your account they mean give them $400.  I've set up a Flickr account too and can't get them to share either.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:59 pm »
Ok if these work, the back of the bow is down and top limb is pointing left in the unbraced photo.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152588625@N03/RvNK5H
https://www.flickr.com/gp/152588625@N03/61n2Bk

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
Tiller looks fine in the pic, i put my bird finger on the center of the bow most tomes, so around one finger above the center of the bow and adjust from there the nock point
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
If you happen to be a 3 under shooter sometimes you need a nock point above and below to keep the arrow from sliding down the string on release causing it to bounce off the shelf and fly nock high.
It could also be hand placement pressuring one limb or the other essentially changing your tiller.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:05 pm »
ok your bow looks good,,
tell me what the draw and weight is that you are shooting it at,,
and I will tell you what arrows should work,,
maybe your release is causing the problem, I dont see any problem with the way the bow is tillered,,
do you have some arrows with feathers, and how do they shoot,,
I rarely bareshaft,,
if I have an arrow that shoots good with feathers, good clean flight,, thats good for me,,

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 03:14:24 pm »
Ok so moving my hand a little higher on the bow helped.  I was thinking keeping the arrow pass closer to the center of the bow should be better so raising my hand/arrow pass about an inch higher helped. 

The bow should be hitting a solid 50lbs or a little more at my 26" draw.  The arrow I was testing spines 53# according to my dial indicator spine tester and deflection chart.  I have that shaft cut to 28".   I'm trying to develop a set of "test" arrows of known spine weight so when I build a new bow of different poundage and widths at the arrow pass I can work through them to find a good starting point. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
ok thanks for the info,,,
1 1/2 or even 2 inches is ok for the arrow pass,, its about how the arrow flies, not the measurement,, or where the pass is,,,,
try leaving the arrow 30 inches and see what it does, cut shorter if needed,,, 50# spine should shoot fine out of your bow cut to the right length,,
put a piece of tape or mark on the arrow to make sure you are hitting the same length every time,,
the bow should be balanced in your hand,, and that would probably make the arrow pass 1 or 1 1/2
make a string wrap or mark at the arrow pass so you shooting the same spot on the bow every time,,
I think its gonna shoot fine,,