Author Topic: Osage kid's bow build-along (finished pics added)  (Read 6274 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Osage kid's bow build-along
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 07:09:05 am »
I made an osage bow for my daughter this summer and was shocked at how hard it was to get it light enough.  I do think you will end up needing to narrow it.  Looking good though!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
Thanks again gang. Laid down the carp skin today. It's not dry yet and far from cleaned and polished up, but my son and I are quite happy with how the pattern turned out. There are 2 sections on each limb where the separate pieces of skin overlap and lack continuity, but when the bow is finished I plan on doing a "Weylin-style" thread wrap around those sections which should make it look sweet. Here are a few pics...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 08:28:35 pm »
Very nice work.  Looks like he is proud of it
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 01:04:38 am »
Nice work...I dare bet he'll be the only cub scout with a bow like that in his troop.He's probably realizing there's a lot of fun out there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 03:48:24 am »
Very nice bet he loves it ,I was sand bagging watching this one great job !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 07:46:42 am »
nice work, I bet he is proud of this bow!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 08:20:10 am »
Nice!!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 11:33:12 am »
    Very nice Jeff, I thought I replied on this one already but must not have pushed the post tab.
I'm thinking the cub scouts are going to be looking for a new troop leader when they see that one. Pretty sure nobody is going to come anywhere close to as cool as that one. Really cool your son is getting his input in this one. He can tell everyone that was my idea.
      I really like making kids bows, but as already said, very easy to still be to heavy. Especially for a kid who hasn't shot a bow at all. Maybe your son has shot enough to handle it. Nice team work.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
Thank you for the encouragement.

OO, he does look pretty proud. He needs something like that cause his sister, who is only 10 months older is always "outshining" him.

Ed, nothing would make me happier than to see him take interest in all things nature. Especially in this modern-technology-driven 21st century of ours.

Great to know you're looking SB!

Thanks Phillip and Tim :)

BJ, it's been awesome to have him be part of the build. I figure it's the first step in passing on the love of traditional archery. I dig this project cause the bow really has to be made specifically for him as his abilities are limited as a 5 year old. For us grown folk, plus or minus 5 pounds doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but for him it could be the difference between can and cannot. I'm glad Paul suggested I drop the weight.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »
Thanks for the great build a long.  I'm about due to start building the next series of my grandkid's self bows.  They grow way too fast!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:43 pm »
My pleasure portlandfire. It's a lot of fun to see their reaction.  :)

The bow's all tillered out, sanded and has it's first coat of finish. It came out at 13# at his 18" of draw, which is appropriate as he was born on Friday the 13th! Took the boy out back shooting with it today and he was ecstatic. Jumpin up and down after each shot.   (SH) :laugh: (SH) :laugh:

I'll post finished pics as soon as it's got a few more coats of finish and nice leather handle.

Nigerian Proverb

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:15 pm »
That is way cool Jeff, really gotta be a fun experience for both of you. It's nice when people give you compliments about the looks of your bows, but way more satisfying watching them enjoy shooting them. Especially your kids. I'm betting your both looking forward to the next Cub Scout meeting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Will B

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 06:48:30 am »
Thanks for posting this build along.  Very helpful as I am currently building two osage bows for my grandkids.  I'm making both 42" long.  Hope they turn out as nice as yours!! 

Can you give me your rough handle dimensions?

Thanks.
Will B

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 11:59:49 am »
You're right BJ. Looks are one thing but action is the beez kneez.

Will, I'm at work right now but I'll post the dimensions when I get home today.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline HorseApples

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »
Thanks for posting. I bet the little guy is proud of his one of a kind bow.
I followed this with a lot of interest  as a fellow dad of a scout who has also tried to make a kid's bow (without nearly as much success).