Author Topic: Black locust 50#@25", and she broke  (Read 7215 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Black locust 50#@25", and she broke
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 06:20:33 am »
Yes I guess your fades were too steep. Any internal angle is known as a stress riser and concentrates forces. Add that too the grain being 'violated' at the fades and a bow that is a wee bit short......and the house of cards starts to topple! Maybe the lower limb was a shade weak too? Can't really tell for certain from here.
Sleek gluing that back together is a BAD idea! Ticking time bomb! Bows should ideally be flawless as we are straining the #@+*'s off them regularly and bad things can happen when something fails.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2017, 07:25:39 am »
Sucks Man been there !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 12:47:29 pm »
I agree,, if you make the fades a little more gradual next time it should work,

Online Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 01:09:56 pm »
I try extendin the fades out a bit more on the next one. The fades are 2" long, but that's going from 2 1/8" limbs to 7/8" at the narrow part of the handle. Typically the limbs are 1.5-1.75" wide with a 1" handle. So a lot more gentle transition for the same length fade.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 05:28:57 pm »
Yes I guess your fades were too steep. Any internal angle is known as a stress riser and concentrates forces. Add that too the grain being 'violated' at the fades and a bow that is a wee bit short......and the house of cards starts to topple! Maybe the lower limb was a shade weak too? Can't really tell for certain from here.
Sleek gluing that back together is a BAD idea! Ticking time bomb! Bows should ideally be flawless as we are straining the #@+*'s off them regularly and bad things can happen when something fails.

Maybe I am a bit to bold at times. Id still do it though. Maybe with a coupke sinew wraps in strategic places.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Online Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 06:25:54 pm »
If I still had it I would give it a shot and see what happens. But I let him take it to with what he wants with it. A momento of his first bow, that lasted all of 5 minutes. it would be interesting to see how well it would hold up if glued back together and wrapped.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 09:02:53 pm »
If I still had it I would give it a shot and see what happens. But I let him take it to with what he wants with it. A momento of his first bow, that lasted all of 5 minutes. it would be interesting to see how well it would hold up if glued back together and wrapped.

Kyle

I had a hickory bow break like that once. I used tb3, and glued it back. That was 2 years ago and I still shoot the bow sometimes. Id try to get it back from him and give it a go.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others