Author Topic: weird crack/toast?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: weird crack
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 12:59:29 pm »
Yew lies in that way. The grain is so tight it doesn't show wander like thick rings do.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 01:55:43 pm »
HHB does the same thing. You can have the back looking clearly diagonal and the belly feathering nicely in a straight line. If you looked at the belly side closely you would probably notice the actual fiber lines running the same way.

It also depends somewhat if the tree decided to change direction of growth like Elm is prone to doing.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »
That's what I meant to say Pat Pearly and Pat. Just wasn't sure how to say it.
So since the grain must be running off, would it be worth it to try wrapping at both points where it hits the edges and backing it? It looks to me now like it would have run off for a few inches at fade and the outer third. Probably kindling but I gotta mess with it still.

Is there a good way to judge yew grain? Hard for me to see it I guess.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:24:22 am by DuBois »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: weird crack/toast?
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 07:34:36 am »
The only way I would continue on is with sinew/silk wraps on each end of the crack and then a rawhide back over all. Or, take all the sapwood off and add 2-3 courses of sinew. But that's a lot more work for the same results.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 03:06:20 pm »
I believe you said these are billets. If you remove the wood around the crack and shorten the other limb, how much length would you have? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 07:44:42 am »
I actually did remove some sapwood to tiller the cracked limb but not much since I had little left to go.

My sinew wrapped tip splice let go on the non cracked limb which shortened it 5" and I just decided what the H, I'll just go with very asymmetrical limbs and see what happens. figure I may be playing around on a lost cause but it's not like I am on a deadline or anything. Just having fun. Will put up a pic of the freaks progress soon.