Author Topic: Sinewing a snakey bow  (Read 4148 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Sinewing a snakey bow
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:37:11 am »
Sure hope you can get a shooter D.C. She really has the curves
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 11:20:47 am »
+1 with Hamish!  That is a wonky, snakey,, even snarky bow :BB!  Even as a wall hanger, it deserves a name - " Wonky Snark"?  Hope it works for you!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
To nice a bow to mess up with sinew
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 08:11:02 pm »
I wonder how tension would be distributed along the back with all those rollercoaster hills. Would it still be an even distribution?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 09:53:47 pm »
I've always kinda thought that instead of an even bending thing it would be a mix of bending and twisting. Whether that makes any difference I have no idea. Does twisted wood rebound better or worse than bent wood? The limbs measure the same length in a straight line but the limb on the right (top limb) is a full inch longer if you follow the bends.

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:52 am »
I wonder how tension would be distributed along the back with all those rollercoaster hills. Would it still be an even distribution?

The reflex part of the hills will be stiff, the deflex parts will be very weak in comparison. I dont know how he is going to tiller this bow. Were I to guess, id say leave the deflexed part of the hills very very thick and thin out the reflexed part. Even still, this is going to be tricky because once you get reflex thinned out to start bending, as mechanical advantage takes over when it starts to flatten out, it looses its strength and becomes a weak spot.

I am praying to the now gods to smile upon this stick and let life be breathed into it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 12:36:09 pm »
   yes the lateral bends add another element of stress,, I think the sinew would help that,,,especially if wrapped in the bad areas,, at the risk of repeating myself,, I had a bow with bad twist, or snakey,, at full draw one of the snakes,,, started to pull apart at the grain,, with the lateral tension,, I wrapped it,, it was ok, then the other snake started to fail as well and the tiller shifted,,
so I sinew backed the snakey area and that part stiffend up adjusting the tiller,, and I wrapped it as well , the bow is still shooting a year later,, it was never gonna make it without the wraps and sinew,,d

I am not saying this bow will come apart,,but since I am old ,, more patient and conservative than I used to be,, the little extra work to put the sinew on,, would definitely increase the odds of success,,  or at least linen wrap the areas with lateral stress,,
    if you do that and it holds up you might wonder,, would it have made it with out that ,, while you are shooting it,,,
    in my experience,, geting the taper even on the reflex and deflex, ,is the best option, no need to over think that,, its easy to make the reflex bend too much and then you have a weak spot like sleek said,,
     if you want to make it no sinew or wrap,, then think about reducing draw and target weight, ,, I try not to give advice unless I have experience with a given situation,, if I dont,,, I usaually say I am just guessing or spit balling,,,
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:45:39 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »
Thanks Brad. There is no way this is ever going to look perfect, even if it was. I'm steaming it for a little string alignment so I'm going to try and take a little of the deflex out of the left limb.

OO I'm only going to back it if it's underweight. I don't have any thin rawhide and I've never used it. Rawhide only adds security, I believe, and if it breaks it breaks. The back is sound. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Are the limbs bending yet? Make sure they don't twist as you draw, or your limb alignment and string may be off. I would rawhide it myself, only after I made sure the limbs were on. You won't need to get to fully draw to know this.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 05:29:11 pm »
Yes, I've pulled it a bit and corrected the alignment. It's in the warm box losing about a gram a day so I'll let it sit for a bit. When I roughed this out I had no choice but to cut it where I did as one side was clear and the other was full of knots. The grain looks good down the back but it's really hard to see. It doesn't look twisted but if it is I may get a surprise.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 05:43:07 pm »
put your fears aside and proceed with courgage,, (SH)