Author Topic: First attempt build a long !  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

Re: Prepping horn ?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 10:44:21 am »
You can use dry heat - korean bowyers do it - but cooking them will ensure that you don't go over 100C. Cooking them for max 10mins and then clamping them for an hour or so is enough. The 17" horns should be good for a hungarian bow, the other ones are comfortably fine for a turkish bow.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:59:26 am »
Thanks Bjoern the type of bow that I'm attempting is like Eds  latest composite prodigy thread , maybe I will steam cook them and straiten I have seen so many articles on bending horn from bolling to dry heat to open flame I think Adam Korpowicz preferred bolling ,at this point I don't need them perfectly strait but strait enough to hide glue to a board , I'm going to continue with this set to iron out every thing and if I don't have enough length I will work the others or adjust the design !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 11:26:36 pm »
Steam is the way to go if you aren't sure.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 02:31:01 pm »
Thanks Ed I got your spec sheet in the mail tonight really more of detailed journal of your work you keep meteculious records there Bud  I appreciate it hope to get some work in on it when back from hunting Saturday unless I poke one , thanks Mike maybe I will try steam for the initial bending with them being thick at this point might be the better option !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 09:17:21 am »
I made up some simple tooling for straitening & prepping the horn strips dug a 4 x 4 out of the wood pile & milled it dead flat added a quick release clamp ,made some assorted shims and used dry heat with a infrared thermometer & didn't let the heat get above 220 Deg F, put shims at the areas that needed straitening it worked great I also found some dead flat Ply wood and made feed tables for the drum sander I decided to use the method I have used for years making furniture Lams I used commercial grade fiber glass reinforced carpet tape to bond the horn to the feed tables it is a very strong bond it will need heat to release them next I will start taking them down in thickness with 80 grit sand paper on the drum !
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:20:35 am by Stick Bender »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 09:18:17 am »
Straitning jig

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 09:18:51 am »
After

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 09:19:24 am »
Feed tables

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 05:19:49 am »
Well I really wasn't trying to turn the thread into a build a long ,just kinda worked out like it ,sense this was the first time doing it thought I would post how I did ,there are many ways of prepping horn Ed did his by belt sander and files ,I have so little bow time that I use what's avalible to me my way takes far less skil then how Ed did it here is the equipment I used I ended up at a smidge below 3/16 to get under the ridges but won't know exactly what I have tell I remove from the feed tables I used 80 grit and a medium feed speed the dust collector helped a lot keeping the burnt hair smell out of the house I guided each peace at a skew both directions & reverse to keep the horn dead flat & even ,the whole feed processe took about 1 1/2 hours the shorter horn strip ended up at only 17 1/2 in. Length , so now that I understand the process from hands on I think I will processe the longer ones but key in this system is to make sure one side is dead flat & as parallel as possible to start with !
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:36:14 am by Stick Bender »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 05:20:26 am »
Feeding

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 05:21:05 am »
End result !

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 09:06:09 am »
I'm a little anxious to see how it comes off that carpet tape. That stuff is pretty tough.
Vancouver Island

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 09:19:00 am »
No problem Don I just heat up the fade end a bit and put a knife blade under it and a little pressure as you go , yes your right this FG reinforced tape is brutally strong stuff  there is a little residue left on the horn but will clean right up great stuff used it for all kinds of stuff !

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 10:01:58 am »
Glad to see that. Carry on!
Vancouver Island

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 12:43:05 am »
After taking them off the feed tables ended up at a little under 3 1/2 mm,9/64 so Im ok on thickness the shortest usable length is 17 in. ,both horns are with in 1/1000 on thickness of each other the 9/64 being the thinest the plan calls for 1/8 thickness so Im good on thickness ! But I ether need to prep another horn for a butt exstention or prep other horns , I think Im going for the 2 1/2 in.butt exstention and save the longer horns for another bow !