Author Topic: Penobscot?????  (Read 6847 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Penobscot?????
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 08:37:18 pm »
I realize that is not a starter design, but how much work does it entail?  That would be a real interesting project!  Who makes them on the original design?  Got to do more research.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:34 am »
He may well like more something like this   ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
He may well like more something like this   ;D

lol  ;D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:04 am »
How far will that launch an archer? >:D >:D
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 09:24:46 am »
White Wolf Archery, makes this thing under their high performance line of bows.  It sells for 1514.00

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:24 am »
Thats as ridiculous as spelling the word "way" with the letter F.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline warpath

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
I appreciate the work that went into making the glass monstrosity, but it's still pretty ugly looking. I much prefer the traditional penobscott bows. Sometimes I'll add a little extra flare to one like adding sayhas to the smaller bow but that's about it. (I know it's not traditional but they sell better in certain markets.) I too would refuse to do work like this because I feel it takes away from the history of the penobscott. Not to mention I really dislike working with fiberglass for many reasons!! I generally ignore requests like this because most of the time they don't appreciate the work that goes into a handmade bow. They want you to do the same amount of work at half the price which in itself is insulting. Just recently turned down work to reproduce a bow from some video game because the laws of physics just make it impractical and not possible.

G-Monee  >:D  :BB (SH)  :NN  :-D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 12:50:58 pm »
After a decade and a half of watching, waiting, and semi-regular efforts at research, I have yet to see evidence of any "Penobscot bow" with the double limbs that have been authenticated by a historian of any reputation.

But to then bastardize it even further by making it out of effing-glass is travelling deep into the Land of Absurdity, in my opinion.  Frankly (there is a poor pun there considering the oldest extant Penob' bow came from a white guy that claimed to be Penobscot, named Frank Lola or Frank Loring), this just smacks of low rent cultural appropriation.  It's disingenuous. 

I can see making one from all natural materials as a study in hypothetical historical reproduction. And if it shoots well, fine, enjoy it. But please do not wrap it in fallacious legend in hopes of building a credibility where none can exist. Let the bow honestly stand or fall on it's own merits.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 07:01:02 am »
I appreciate the work that went into making the glass monstrosity, but it's still pretty ugly looking. I much prefer the traditional penobscott bows. Sometimes I'll add a little extra flare to one like adding sayhas to the smaller bow but that's about it. (I know it's not traditional but they sell better in certain markets.) I too would refuse to do work like this because I feel it takes away from the history of the penobscott. Not to mention I really dislike working with fiberglass for many reasons!! I generally ignore requests like this because most of the time they don't appreciate the work that goes into a handmade bow. They want you to do the same amount of work at half the price which in itself is insulting. Just recently turned down work to reproduce a bow from some video game because the laws of physics just make it impractical and not possible.

G-Monee  >:D  :BB (SH)  :NN  :-D

I have turned down a number of these video game bow builds as well for that same reason.  I had one guy come back and tell me it had already been built and pointed me to a video, which was nothing more than a crudely made D bow with attached pieces to make it look like the bow in question.  I gave him  my opinion on that as well  (--)  ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 11:02:21 am »
Yikes, that's horrendous

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 05:11:58 pm »
Honestly,  the challenge of making a video game or movie proo bow that functions sounds like a fun challenge to me. If i had a place here in Toronto amd wood to work, id give it a go.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 01:40:37 pm »
the second pair of silencers is hilariously stupid  :o

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »
Crows head lists a hickory finished bow for $199, and an unfinished tillered kit for $139.  What does the Penobscot nation say about this thing?  If it is authentic, and somewhat ancient,  there should be some artifact evidence, but that region is a high humidity area, and wood will rot away quickly, as we know.  I would think there would be some ethnology research works somwhere at one or more colleges or universities in their territory.  One site credits the design to Dr(?) Frank Loring(?) around 1900, another claims it is a very ancient design dating back to at least the Viking incursions.  Guess I will do some checking for valid research.  Might keep me out of trouble.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 11:58:26 pm »
Another question, do Hamm and Alley mention it in their writings?  JW, let me know what you found in your efforts, and I will try other sources, no point in doing it twice!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 01:36:32 am »
Marc,
I think you are way ahead of us on this topic.  I noticed that you posted pics of a museum bow you copied some 12 years ago.  It looks very much like what Crows Head offers.  What is the background on the bow?  What museum? Any history, ethnology?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Jerry