Author Topic: Victorian ELB?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Victorian ELB?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 12:22:20 pm »
Ok, DC. I'll bite.

Let's look at your numbers, shall we.  For instance, you will be hitting that 42 lbs of draw right around my draw length.  Easy peasy draw, I can shoot that baby for long sessions without any ache in the elbows or shoulders. No real chance of developing bad habits or the like, either.  A mere forty-two lbs of draw?  I'm not out there to slap it on the table in front of the guys to measure against what they got, what would I care?

Then if you were throwing ten grains per pound of draw weight arrows, you could expect the old '100 plus the draw weight' to be a benchmark for an efficient bow, so 142 fps?  And you got high 150's with a 439 grain arrow.  Fine. Completely within acceptable territory.

I have never really had an effective range beyond 20 yards and would prefer to shorten that whenever possible. If all I could get outa that bow is 142 fps, that 20 yard shot would have an arrow flight time of 0.42 seconds.  These ain't wheelie bows chasing the 300 fps demon.  Plenty quick for anything I would need.

Yeah, it's not in the top tenth percentile for performers, but it is deep into the "workable, every day shooter, meat maker, pretty on the wall" sort of bow.  No shame in this darling.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hans H

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
+1
a nice bow, like it
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 02:30:13 pm »
Lovely bow! No need to be dissapointed about the speed, that's fine for a lower weight longbow! And if it shoots fine, who cares about the speed?

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:44 pm »
Thanks for all the comments. I don't hunt so that doesn't enter into my thinking. I make bows. I don't sell bows so they start to build up. I had 33 hanging on the wall until I gave 10 to the SCA. It's kind of nice to have a reason to make more bows. I chose speed. (old drag racer) I try to improve each time. Not totally successfully lately. That said I couldn't figure why this bow was slower than my previous shorter, lighter and lower draw weight ELB so I spent the morning with both bows and the chrony. The new bow was slower every time. To narrow things down I put tape on the arrows at 26.5" and tried them. I knew first time that I wasn't drawing the new bow all the way. In on old post I mentioned that my body seems to have a cut off at 40#. Anyway I sucked it up and pulled it to the tape, 169fps. Shot a few more to confirm. Got one 171 and the rest were in the high 160's. Packed up the chrony and came in. I'm a happy camper ;D ;D ;D ;D

One interesting thing. My older bow is 38#@26.5", this one is 42#@26.5". They both shoot the same speed with 10gpp

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »
Love them yew selfbows. I noticed the balance looked off in the last pic... like the top limb was leaning back toward you... then noticed the horn strike plate peeking out from under your bow hand... Are you holding that thing upside down in the full draw pic? tsk-tsk DC. You're going to inflict that bow with a severe case of tiller-identity and it'll never act the same.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 06:18:22 pm »
DC is known for his flip-flop tiller pics. ;)

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 06:32:11 pm »
But why? I have to assume it could cause undue strain, potential set and lack of performance.

DC, could you please post a pic of the same bow drawn upside right?

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
Perhaps an equally relevant question is... why am I the only one who noticed it?  :o  ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 06:54:47 pm »
I'm so used to seeing it. ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:53 pm »
I have to assume it could cause undue strain,.

Would it though in a typical bow?

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:32 pm »
Sorry DWS that was a mistake. I do take pictures both ways to compare the tiller but I just posted the wrong one. They are both in the same post now.

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 07:08:39 pm »
   That's a nice bow, I just recently started getting more into the elbs. I found just as you did that if you hold your profile they perform as well as the stiff handled bows. Good job.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 09:03:14 am »
Can't help it, but simple designs are what I prefer. Straight self bows, be them ELB, ALB or flatbows.
It seems to me that in your FD picture you are short drawing the bow too. If that's your typical draw length, it explains the lower initial speed.

nice job!

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 10:30:02 am »
I just did some measuring off the picture and I'm only drawing about 24". I've got to work on my anchor point.