Author Topic: Bike tubes  (Read 2913 times)

Offline DC

Bike tubes
« on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »
When you cut up bike tubes for clamping how wide do you make the strips? I've been making mine 1/2-3/4" wide.

Offline Badger

Re: Bike tubes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:45 pm »
  I just cur my tubes in 1/2 and get two long strips from each tube regardless of size. I usually get the biggest I can find so mine are usually about 1 1/4 wide. I leave a little space about 1/4" between each wrap.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:37:08 pm »
I'll cut road bike tubes in half and MTB tubes into thirds or quarters depending on the actual tube size.

You don't want to go too narrow since tubes can be a bit degraded when you get them and more prone to tearing.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:58 pm »
I just cut the area out where the valve stem is and leave them whole, they last a lot longer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:57 pm »
    I thought about that bubby, you can pull them tighter, another thing I like about bike tubes I will just throw in is if you are doing a tri lam where you have to have some serious pressure on your power lamb taper to get them together you can just put a bunch of wraps on top of each other and it compounds the pressure applied.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:30:52 pm »
I have used inner tubes but I find rubber Roofing membrane much better in term of longevity.also longer strips can be made.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 04:47:13 pm »
Speaking of length, the first time I cut some out I spiralled around the tube and got one strip 1/2" wide and 18 yrds long. What a PITA that was to use. I cut it into 36" lengths.
 I don't think I could stretch a full tube and like Steve says you can do multiple layers. But I will cut this one in 1" widths.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:16:29 pm »
Oh u can stretch it dc and they last longer, i used to cut them in strips but wont do it anymore when i get them for free
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:08 am »
Yes as mentioned above just cut the valve out. That gives the right clamping resistance and they last for ever if you don't get epoxy on them.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:24:40 am »
I have used inner tubes but I find rubber Roofing membrane much better in term of longevity.also longer strips can be made.
Yup, that's what I us...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 05:50:43 am »
I usually cut my tube strips at least 1.5" wide.Right next to each other while wrapped.Overlapped back the other way then too.At least 3' lengths.Like said they can be reused then a number of times.Plus you can really wrap them tighter then too like said.
That's if your wrapping around the limbs themselves.I've seen innertubes used differently too that don't need to be wrapped.Clamped down onto the form in a criss cross fashion.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:05:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:50 am »
I cut the valve section out and cut the tube in half lengthwise. I don't make many backed bows any more but these halves seemed to be the right amount of pressure for each limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC