Author Topic: Here is the Plan  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Zuma

Re: Here is the Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:40 pm »
Are those all out of 1 tree?.....lol.Nice colored coon!!!I see 1 good dog there....lol.
I pretty much learned to handle fur on my own and working and observing in fur sheds.

I would never shoot coons if more than two. Ususlly if there are a pile most are kits.
That is, one night though. I think my best.That photo was from the mid -late seventies.
The walker dog turned silent after 8 mo. The Black and Tan could track across a frozen lake
and was an amazing check dog. The Walker was stolen and Hush died in my arms.
That was a $270 haul. Most nights were 2-4 coons. Paid for Vet bills and dog chow.
This photo is of my first hound and old Mike (redbone 13yrs old). So, so many great memories.
I should stay on topic and start a coon hunt thread.
Zuma
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:21:31 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 11:16:50 am »
     Nice pictures Zuma. I had a Black -n- Tan someone gave me for free once. It's actually the last dog I ever owned. At free I still paid to much if you know what I mean. He must have gotten beaten or something. He was scared of everyone and wouldn't do anything but get in trouble. I worked hard with him to gain his trust. I'd take him to the farm everyday and carry him up a ladder and let him go up in the barn mow. He would finally come to me when I called him. I put him on a rope lease and every time he didn't go where I wanted him to I'd say this way Jake, turn around give him a good yank then he'd run a head ahead and I'd turn around and do it again. After 15 minutes of this when I said this way he'd look to see where I was going. I thought him this way, here, and stop. Eventually I let go of his longer rope and he didn't even know. I could get him to do a lot with those 3 commands. He never did get to be a good Hunting partner though. He got to where he stayed home good so I let him roam around my house and barn. I went out to pull beans one night about 11:00 pm and he was laying on the road dead. I was really surprised because he never went on the road he was afraid of vehicles. Oh well probably save me a lot of problems anyway.
    Not that I'm a big reader but my two favorite books are " Centennial" and "Where The Red Firn Grows"
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 05:00:43 pm »
Zuma....Ahhhhh the good old days.Nice pic.You've stepped into my parlor!!!!A man and his dogs.Hard for people to understand but it gets in your blood.There's your rewards.The coon I gather.There are good dogs in most every coonhound breed.All 6 of them.Many dogs can turn silent if they start catching coon on the ground.Most times it's in their genetics to get that way.Does'nt really make them less a coon dog.They are just using their brains.Just a little more unpleasant to hunt if they get out of pocket on ya.Brains is one of the hardest things to breed for in a coon dog.Hunting two dogs like that with those traits for killing coon is a deadly combo.For killing coon 2 dogs is about your best number for success.
I was fortunate enough to own 7 top notch hounds in my life and many good enough hounds too.All black and tans and I tried every breed out there more than once.Each one could tree every kind of coon out there in july or in january in northern Iowa or any other state I dropped them in,and I did that.It was a life style more then a sport to me I hunted year round at least 250 nights a year for at least 25 years weather permitting.Treed 10's of thousands of coon along with cats and bear.The big money coon hunting to me was not killing the coon for fur but stud fees and puppy sales.
I got into competition hunting and won a few national titles with them too hunting against the best in the country of every breed out there including Black and Tan Days in Flora,Illinois in 1994 against 1100 other dogs that weekend.To this day I still enjoy hearing my neighbors coyote hounds run coyotes even though they don't tree any.
Enough blowing my own horn and want to congratulate you being into a sport that is one of the most enjoyable out there.A hound man always a hound man!!!!!Don't worry there is a thread for coon hunters but coon are'nt treed on the internet they are treed in the woods and this is the camp fire thread so I guess it's ok.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:06:48 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 07:12:08 pm »
Very good  The love of a good hound wins the day. Besides a good time for old dog TAILs.
Something for the cold winter nights
BJ the experience you shared with the gifted hound is somewhat bitter sweet. Although in the bitter end
I know that the pooch had an edge up on you in the feelings department. Please don't let it deter you from
another attempt.  Or at least find a coon hunter that don't mind a little company on a cold winter night,
just to hear the music.
If I am not misstaken Mitchner wrote Centennial but i  really have lost it's content in my mind as far as dogs.
I think I have read to many of his novels. I own most in hard cover.

Ed you are bad because you have opened up a vault of bygone memories and I want to hear more from you
about the EXPERIENCE. John in the photo above opened a Sport Shop and became a fur buyer.
I just kept hunting till stupid people started throwing paint.
I am up for taking the last few off topic post and see if we can get a mod to put them into
" Coon Dog hunters and their Tails" thread. Just so folks that don't flesh may get on board. ???
What do ya all think??
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 07:28:01 pm »
ED, I remember talking coon dogs with ya one yr at the classic, we camped just down the hill from ya, can't remember if we had the wall tent or the pyramid. My son bought a redbone when he was about 19 yrs old and got into the night hunts. Sage was a natural and helped my son fiqure out the night hunts. Sage ended up being a Gr Nite CH and at one time was the Living Leading Producers of the Redbones for his first 100 pups. My son is 46 this yr and still hunts his Redbones 3 to 4 nights a week all yr round unless snow is to deep, and cold.We often wonder how far Ole Sage would have gone if my boy had him today and with his knowledge now, Maybe a World champ maybe not, either way that ole dog was best thing for my son, never in trouble and never got married till he was 35, run dogs all nite work all day and go again. Somehow he was smart enough to keep some of Sage breeding line still going. Good times for sure. Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 07:36:02 pm »
Bob you may have typing your post while I was posting my last,
I would appreciate your input very much too. Cause I just read your post--
Just what I am talkin about.
Zuma

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 08:53:17 am »
Zuma....The way I see it all of the hobbies we've gotten into are interrelated with the love of animals and the outdoors being the instigator.The journey of experiences along the way.The people you meet and the places you go with the country you see are all good memories.I still have a pair of hounds on the yard from my old stock.They are the 7th generation with my kennel name in front of them all.Black Land Kennel.A few outcrosses there too but to like kind talented individuals that were shirt tail related.Mostly all gr.nt. or nt. ch. in their background.Does'nt totally mean everything about the titles though.I've had open dogs not campaigned that were better than many gr.nt.'s and produced outstanding individuals.
When money enters into the picture from them sometimes the fun can leave though but remembering exactly what the basic thing was that got you started will keep the enthusiasm alive.Keeping a healthy perspective.
Bob....I seem to remember our encounter at the classic.That was back in 2012.I've gotta get back there sometime.I managed to stay out of trouble coon hunting.It's a great hobby!!!!Congrats on your red dog's accomplishments.There are a few fellas in Alabama/Missouri/and Tennessee that are hunting my stock to this day with the same results.I've sent dogs from Canada to New Mexico and from Washington to North Carolina and from Wisconsin to Florida of these dogs to coon and big game hunters.Hunted in most every state.Not all of them but a coon dog is a coon dog no matter where his feet hit the ground.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:51:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »
I made this in the eighties after I retired from coonin.
My black and tan tracked a coon all night. He was slow but
sure. Everything was totally froze over. I walked to the tree
with Hush. It was daylight and the coon didn't even wake up
with Hush barking up the tree. The coon was sleeping with his
head visable in the den hole.
Zuma
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:43:14 am by Zuma »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 07:44:45 am »
Wow Don, you truly are a man of many talents, I was totally in surprise that you were in to the coon hunting so much. I really liked your casting of Ole Hush on the tree, What did you make it out of ? Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 08:09:03 am »
Now that is a really cool tribute to your coon hound Zuma. Like Bob said you are a man of many talents and interesting hobbies. I think Ed said it how it is. It's all just so intertwined hard to know where one hobby ends and another one starts. I think that's what keeps it so interesting to me and like Ed said not getting to much into the money part. Nothing wrong with a little compensation or bartering, but I try to keep everything just a hobby and not a job.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 09:41:28 am »
Not much coon hunting anymore Bob. Down here in the mountains you need a mule.
I did train one to ride, one time but never had the confidence she would not be contrary
on the hunt and make me walk her home. Ole Dolly
The dog and coon are hand built. I had some clay left over from a ABO pot. I painted it.
I have a few trophies that Bullet my treeing walker won back in the day. Here is one. 
Thanks for being interested and glad you guys get it. Oh I got one of Dolly too.
Zuma
The trophy was from Bullet's last nite hunt back in 79 Sullivan Co. NY.